New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 Cougar Sport with about 60k miles on it. I've had a CEL on for about 3k now. It has a rough idle, has been sluggish, and I'm getting about 17mpg. I tried cleaning the EGR valve, nothing. So I replaced it, still nothing.

I've read on here that it could be the DPFE sensor, but I can't find it. I've read this how to ( http://www.newcougar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2193&highlight=dpfe ), to replacing the DPFE, but I don't see it anywhere. Is it different in the 2002 year? Does the 2002 even have a DPFE?

I've also read on here that you can try cleaning and rebuilding the upper and lower intake manifolds ( http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=17 ). I've heard that this could fix performance problems and CEL. But, it seems like a lot of work and money to do if it's not going to fix anything or make a difference. I don't really have spare cash right now. I also hear that it's easier to do plugs on the car with the UIM off, so I would do those if I ended up cleaning and rebuilding them, which is even more money. Kinda opening up a can of worms, eh?

Any suggestions? Right now I'm thinking that I'm going to replace the DPFE if I can find it. Also thinking that I'll clean the throttle body and see if that helps? I appreciate any help that anyone has to offer. I've been playing around with this stupid CEL for awhile now. Can't do any mods until this thing is atleast running good stock!

Edit: I Cleaned the TB (it was pretty dirty...) and it seemed to be running a bit better and no codes were coming up. I drove it for like 33 miles and when I got home I checked for codes again and it's back. Same code, nothing new. So I'm back to nothing on this. Anyone? :confused:

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

Change the DPFE Sensor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
mond12345 said:
P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

Change the DPFE Sensor.
Well, that's what I was trying to do, but I can't find it. I've read through that guide and it seems like a completly different car. Is it different on the 2002?

Edit - Is it possible that the sensor is just not there at all? I bought this car used and had some interesting issues with the dealer...

Another edit - I did a bit more investigating. I found my DPFE, it's small, looks completely different, and is in a different spot. It has a part number 2F1E-9J460-AA. New part number is 4U7Z-9J460-AA. Looks like it will be fun to replace.

·
Registered
127 Posts
okay I am in the same boat my friend.. I had the same code start on my car last month I replaced my (egr valve sensor) and it did nothing lol.. what I am trying to figure out is if the (DPFE Sensor) is the same thing as the (EGR Sensor) because thats what I understood from reading threw the forums..:banghead:

Well I just did more looking around, and according to this they are the same thing http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performSearch&Parameters=Auto+Store%7C%7EREGULAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP%7C%7EDPFE%2FEGR+Valve+Pressure+Sensor
So I have no clue...

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
when was the last time the passanges behind the tb where cleaned?

in general P0401 - insufficient flow - means the passages need to be cleaned

in general P0402 - exsessive flow - means that the DPFE sensor needs to be changed

it is rare for the EGR valve itself to fail ...

to test the egr valve pull one of the vacuum lines and apply a vacuum, if the car stumbles at idle the valve is working

·
Registered
552 Posts
you dont need to remove anything to remove the plugs.. The plugs are easy to get to without removing anything. You just need basic plug removable skills. if you remove the UIM your just adding time to the process prob an extra 30min or however long it takes you to take it off depending on your knowledge on removing anything from the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
TheLastStand1984 said:
ok, passages behind the tb? do you mean the hoses that attach to the egr valve?

no I mean if you remove the tb there are passages cut into the uim for egr flow and they become plugged over time ...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok first off, thank you so much for taking the time to put a picture up. your awesome as hell!
but I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to paraphrasing with engine parts... TB stands for what?
and all I need to do is remove the TB and clean out the slits to the left side of the picture above?
once again I am sorry for not knowing all this. :(

·
Registered
127 Posts
okay.. so all I need to do is clean out the passages underneath the Upper Intake Manifold>> correct?? Is removing the UIM hard to do? I found a guide on cougardb.. do I need to replace the gasket for the uim when I put everything back together?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
TheLastStand1984 said:
okay.. so all I need to do is clean out the passages underneath the Upper Intake Manifold>> correct?? Is removing the UIM hard to do? I found a guide on cougardb.. do I need to replace the gasket for the uim when I put everything back together?

well you can do it without removing the UIM but if you want to it would make it easier and you can clean the whole UIm at the same time. you might also want to think about cleaning the LIM also. Not sure about here but CEG has a how-to on cleaning the intake manifolds

I would replace any gasket that you disturb ... UIM to LIM, tb, egr, etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well... It appears TheLastStand and I are in the same boat... I've replaced the DPFE with one from Advance... I've vacuum checked the valve, and the diaphragm is holding vacuum, and the plunger is both moving, and fully seating in the closed position. I'll have to double check but I'm pretty sure the code still in the computer is p0401 insufficient flow..... I've cleaned the whole upper intake, replaced UIM to LIM gasket(s) and the only thing i'm left with so far is the EGR solenoid.... Which appears to be a dealer part.... unless i can verify that our O'Reilly's here in town has one :(

But I had the same problem before the new DPFE, several codes, lean banks, misfires, rough idle, sluggish accel.... the new DPFE has taken all that away but I've cleared out the P0401 twice now and it's come back...

The one thing that scares me is when it was running so rough, one of the codes I pulled out was a CMP sensor circuit fault.... but that one hasn't come back yet and I'm praying. I'm hoping that was just from the jumping idle...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, this seemed to fix my problem so far.. the passages were completely blocked.. took me a good 30 minutes to get them cleaned out..
but my check engine light hasn't come back on since I did it, so hopefully it stays that way!.. heres some pics of the TB before and after
:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
TheLastStand1984 said:
Well, this seemed to fix my problem so far.. the passages were completely blocked.. took me a good 30 minutes to get them cleaned out..
but my check engine light hasn't come back on since I did it, so hopefully it stays that way!.. heres some pics of the TB before and after
:biggrin:

*pics*
nice job ... yes the light should say off ... well at least for that code anyway :rofl:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice thread. I have the same code and tried it this evening but was pushed for time. Definitely on my list to do again.

Anyone have a clue where I can find the white plastic insert on the linkage in the background? Not even sure what it's for but mine is missing and the linkage arm was just laying free. I reconnected it but no way it'll stay without that plastic keeper.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Connects the front and rear banks of secondary valves in the lower intake manifold. The IMRC only moves the rear bank; the front one gets pulled along for the ride. You’re losing performance if one or both aren’t working.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts