New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
8,582 Posts
It could be the IMRC, and it's pretty easy to fix. First though get the code pulled and see what it is. Autozone and the like will do it for free.

531 Posts
pull the code if its the IMRC use that search button at the top, go to how-to's. type in Relocation. and their is a fully detailed step by step to clean the IMRC or just relocate it. you can also just pick a new IMRC up for like 125 bucks give or take a few

·
Registered
778 Posts
please have the codes read and post here for more feedback.

it is possible that the secondaries are not working. if you rev the engine by hand look under the tb and look for the arm on the secondaries to move.
I did this, however I did not see the secondaries opening. However I dont have a CEL that says anything about it. If the secondaries are not opening does it usually pull a CEL?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,812 Posts
Yes. You will get an "IMRC stuck open" or "IMRC stuck closed" code.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You won't have any code if the link between the front and rear secondaries is disenguage. If you look below TB you'll see if it's not attach...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Not always true. Mine aren't working and I haven't gotten a code.
Exactly. So, what can be the culprit? (with the CEL not coming on if this is truley the case)

I felt like I woke up the whole neigborhood this weekend, cause I kept reving the car from under the hood and seeing if I would be able to see the IMRC open the secondaires.

I read on here somwhere that you can check of IMRC Is working by getting under the hood and revign by opening throttle then look to see if the medal wire is pulling when reving above 3500rpm.

·
8,582 Posts
Exactly. So, what can be the culprit? (with the CEL not coming on if this is truley the case)

I felt like I woke up the whole neigborhood this weekend, cause I kept reving the car from under the hood and seeing if I would be able to see the IMRC open the secondaires.

I read on here somwhere that you can check of IMRC Is working by getting under the hood and revign by opening throttle then look to see if the medal wire is pulling when reving above 3500rpm.
Well, were they opening? You'd see the linkage moving if you look under the throttle body.

I'm not sure I understand your message. My IMRC is bad; the secondaries aren't opening, but I'm not getting a CEL. That's what I was trying to say.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
My CEL never came on either, I'm pretty sure you can open the IMRC and see if the litte gears move when you rev it past 3800RPM. Also, you should feel a kick when your driving when you hit that spot.

Mine would do it here and there, especailly after the engine was nice and hot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.