New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting this code for a while now. It started shortly after I replaced my battery, but i don't know if that is the cause or not. I've had it reset a few times and the dealership doesn't seem to be able to offer me much of a solution so i kind of let it slide for a while but i'm considering selling my car and having a CEL makes it a tough sell.

Any suggestions on what exactly this means or how it can be fixed? This description makes it sound like it's really more of an annoyance than a problem and that it only needs to be reset to pass inspection.

HTML:
    | P1000 - Monitor        | The on board           | *  Vehicle is new from | The DTC does not need  |
    | Testing Not Complete   | diagnostic II (OBD II) |    the factory         | to be cleared from the |
    |                        | monitors are performed | *  Battery or PCM had  | PCM except to pass an  |
    |                        | during the OBD II      |    recently been       | inspection/maintenance |
    |                        | Drive Cycle. The DTC   |    disconnected        | test.                  |
    |                        | will be stored in      | *  An OBD II monitor   |                        |
    |                        | continuous memory if   |    failure had         |                        |
    |                        | any of the OBD II      |    occurred before     |                        |
    |                        | monitors do not        |    completion of an    |                        |
    |                        | complete.              |    OBD II drive cycle  |                        |
    |                        |                        | *  PCM DTCs have       |                        |
    |                        |                        |    recently been       |                        |
    |                        |                        |    cleared with a scan |                        |
    |                        |                        |    tool                |                        |
    |                        |                        | *  PTO circuit is      |                        |
    |                        |                        |    shorted to VPWR or  |                        |
    |                        |                        |    B+ or PTO is on     |                        |
    |                        |                        |    during testing      |                        |
    |________________________|________________________|________________________|________________________|

Any input would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Clearing this code only guarantees it will come back. This code is only to alert you to the fact that you haven't driven enough to allow all self-diagnostics to complete. As you quoted above, this could be due to battery replacement or clearing the codes with a scan tool.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, but is it common for it to stay there for months on end? It was summer when i last had it reset.

Admittedly i don't drive a whole lot, and mostly short trips but i have put on a few thousand kms since it was last reset.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Usually the car needs to run through ALL of its monitor tests so this light goes off... meaning going through all gears, and being driven at highway speeds for a certain length of time, city driving for a certain length of time, and having a certain amount of gas in the tank at time of monitor test, and all sensors basically being used during their tests to complete fully...

I think all OBD II cars have this type of monitor system, which has a specific set of criteria to make sure the monitor tests are able to be completed...

·
8,582 Posts
Uh, hold on everyone. The last reset was MONTHS ago, so he shouldn't STILL be getting this code, and his CEL is on (right?). I've never gotten a CEL just for disconnecting the battery, so I'm guessing there is something else wrong. The P1000 code I think is for the emissions testing places to know whether you are trying to slide through emissions by resetting the OBD-II just before getting an emissions check - normally, it shouldn't turn on the CEL.

I have two theories:
1. There is a sensor bad somewhere, which isn't allowing the car to get out of its initial "learning mode", which perhaps sets the CEL after a while. Unfortunately it's not telling you which sensor (as it usually would).

2. Your battery is weak and the PCM is getting confused or something. Have you noticed any gauge sweeps when you start the car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok here's an update on the situation. I spoke to the shop foreman at the dealership and he told me that the p1000 code is essentially just a warning light to indicate that the CEL has been reset. Seems kinda redundant to me, but i guess it makes sense considering the emissions test scam noted above.

He recommended that i unhook the battery and let the computer reset. After doing that I took the car for a 45 minute drive on the highway and through the city to give it ample time to run through any tests it needed to do. That was sunday. As of right now the CEL has not come back on and i've cycled the engine at least a dozen times since then.

So my fingers are crossed that the problem is fixed.

·
So its begun.....
16,840 Posts
There is a set of criteria that must be met before that code goes away. Its not mileage based. That code should also ot be tripping the CEL. It will sit in the computer memory unless read by a code reader. As stated about emission. When they hook up via OBDII port, the system will tell you if the criteria has been met or not. Laptop scantools and the moderately priced hand scantools will do the same.

I attached it here now.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts