New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CEL code... it doesnt make sense.. help?

Well today driving to the body shop on getting an estimate on pulling some big dents, that i cant do myself, i got a CEL. Well on the way home i stop by autozone to get it read.

P0136 Rear Oxygen Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

I have a 99 atx. Gutted precats and a testpipe. I have MIL eliminators on both banks of the exhaust.

First off which sensor is getting the code? The bank nearest the front of the car near the radiator, or the bank in the back of the engine thats located in the 180* bend?
Second off, why would this code come up if i have MIL eliminators?
Thrid off, how would i fix it? Could the Oxygen sensor itself be bad, or the MIL eliminator go bad?

Any help i would really appreciate it

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
RE:CEL code... it doesnt make sense.. help?

The sensor is the one in the y-pipe which if u have gutted pre-cats mean u have to have a MIL on that on since its a monitor. I would check the wiring and the MIL before buying anything.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I swapped out the MIL's today, and no CEL code yet. When i pulled the battery off yesturday, it came back on after 4 miles of driving. Then i swapped them today, and pulled the negative cable, and its been 20 miles of driving since. I will give it a few more days. This is weird.

G

·
RE: CEL code... it doesnt make sense.. help?

Most codes come back after 40 something miles dont they? One driving cycle?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well update again, Since ive changed the mil's and pulled the battery cable, ive driven near 200 miles, and now it finally came back. I drove by autozone, it had 3 codes, all P0136, bank 1 sensor 2. I switched the MIL's so this makes me believe that the mils arent the problem. Could the actual 02 sensor be bad? Or either the wiring?? But why would it take so long to come back this time? What could the problem be? Is it possible to have a bad 02 sensor on a MIL eliminator and still pull a code? Please help, i do not understand this at all ... From inside the cabin i smell a funny smell, that i would think to be exhaust, so would an exhaust leak make this happen?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.