New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone i know around here has either a cav, a civic, a grand am, or a sunfire. Most all of em are I4's, everyone but the grand am is usually manual. The cav has a 2.2L, the GA has a 2.4L and i don't know what the rest are. I have 2.0L I4 MTX. Now considering if all of them are manuals, whose gonna take the race. Most of these guys, especially the civics, are getting alittle ****y about how fast their cars are, and im getting sick of it. Id like to take em down, but id like to know if i have a chance with it. Please put in your 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
The biggest thing against you with these cars is weight issues. Those cars (except for the GA) are lighter than yours. You'd probably be able to take the GA, as for the cav and sunfire, are they Z24 and GT? If so you may have some trouble, but then again it might be a driver's race. If the civics are stock you could probably take those down too.

Mike

·
Administrator
24,498 Posts
I fear no J-body. Except maybe the newer Cavalier LS with the Ecotec...maybe. On a good day. If I had a malfunctioning fuel pump or something.

The Grand Am GT is cool, and quick enough - I'd drive one, if they would offer it with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
My two cents? Well, you did ask for it... I think it's completely pointless that you would even care about how fast other cars on the road, especially crap like that, is. Do I think you'll beat them? Depends on whether or not you can drive, and the same goes for them. I think it would be 50/50 in all cases, but most of the time you'll be pretty close.

Peer pressure, so overrated. :rolleyes:

Edit: ... and on a second note, you think that just because you 'beat' them in a race that they are going to shut up about being faster? Dream on -- then instead of 'my car is faster than yours' it's going to become 'you were just lucky' or 'the conditions weren't right for a race'... pointless IMO.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
yeah... you're gonna have to beat them 4 or 5 times through out the course of 2 months :biggrin:

but yeah, these civics and cavs are just going to do exactly what Jason said, or they will say "just wait till i do _____ mod to my car" etc... :rolleyes:

it will never end... so dont think that by beating them, you are going to really "win" anything.
save your gas, transmission, tires and just dont race them... plus if you get caught by the cops, your driving life is OVER.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya you guys got a good point there. None of them are GT"s, or Z24's, so id think itd be a drivers race. I'll just let them keep talking, cause i got the looks

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by: ND4SPD
yeah... you're gonna have to beat them 4 or 5 times through out the course of 2 months :biggrin:

but yeah, these civics and cavs are just going to do exactly what Jason said, or they will say "just wait till i do _____ mod to my car" etc... :rolleyes:.

Thats so true. I spent my whole time in high school having to race all the mustangs and camaros whenever they got some new part for their cars. "I just installed a new holley dual pumper, when we raced before I had the old stock carb. I can take you now." ( I won't lie and tell you it wasn't fun. But it'll never end. I always kicked the crap outta them but they never stopped trying.) If you do race them whatever you do don't race in a heavily populated area, street racing tickets suck. Also don't forget to take out your spare and subs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts