New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a place i can buy a high flow cat? are they worth buying? or can i just hollow mine out with out having any cel's? im asking because under heavy accleration i get a sulfer smell, which usally means a clogged cat. or one that is getting there.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
IIRC Draxas.com has them. i would think you'd get a CEL if you gutted that too, but i know of one person that did it. But yeah, that sulphur smell means your cat is about to go, which led me to buy the Brullen Y with the high-flow cat. Figured while i'm replacing the cat i may as well replace the y as well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Forget high flow! How much more high flow can you get than having nothing there at all? Hammer the snot out of those bad boys and make some MIL eliminators!

If you don't know how to make them, or don't want to, PM rastaman. He'll hook you up.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you just gut the "big" secondary catalytic converter you run the risk of actually hurting overall performance.

Why? Because now you have a big empty chamber in your piping where the exhaust gas flow velocity can slow down and temperature can cool off. These both adversely affect exhaust gas scavenging; hence, performance.

I think catalyst "test pipes" are available for like $100 from TruBendz. You can probably can find a new Magnaflow high flow cat on ebay for not much more.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx guys. i checked out trubends and they have one for 70.00 it a strait pipe im going to buy. my car is a 2000 they said only 2001 and 2002 needs the mil eliminators. so i shouldnt get any cel's.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
around here i dont here of to many people geting fines for no cat. the only thing is they check to see if you have one when u get inspected so ill just keep it and put it back on when that time comes and then take it back off.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Why pollute for an extra 1-2hp? A hi-flow is the way to go- Make your own pipe (below), or stick with stock- There are plenty of other things to do besides mess with the catalyst system. :thumbsdn:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the only reason im messing with it is because it has that dang sulfer smell which means its clogged or geting there. im just looking for a alternative then a stock replacement.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
danG is right ,, your gonna gain a hp or 2 but you loose overall back pressure and pollute soo much ,. get the high flo

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
There is a chance the Sulfer Smell is being caused by the Cat-Converters located on each manifold. Gutting these will net ~5Hp.....its basically a free mod w/o any negative side effects...Then replace the large cat under the car with a highflow cat converter. (or a straight pipe)

However using a straight pipe (eg; not having cats) will result in Rasp in the high rpms.

·
Registered
853 Posts
i just got mine for $80 on ebay... magnaflow hi-flow, stainless body, and with one, you will have a chance of passing emissions, something you wont without one.

I live in CT so there running the emissions with the registration. if you dont get tested, you cant register. so i went the safe way!

Ebay listing I bought from

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a question i've been thinking of replacing the cat but exactly how many are there on the cougar when i look up under mine i see 2 whats the deal with having one on each manifold?

Justin

·
Administrator
24,494 Posts
Originally posted by: bigb9582
thanx guys. i checked out trubends and they have one for 70.00 it a strait pipe im going to buy. my car is a 2000 they said only 2001 and 2002 needs the mil eliminators. so i shouldnt get any cel's.
1999 and 2000 are the ones that need MIL eliminators. 2001 and 2002 DO NOT.

The 99-00 has 4 oxygen sensors, and the rear ones MUST HAVE MIL eliminators to keep from getting a CEL.

Speaking from experience.

UNLESS the 01-02 have a sensor behind the cat - not sure about that...

·
Administrator
24,494 Posts
Originally posted by: jwheels54
I have a question i've been thinking of replacing the cat but exactly how many are there on the cougar when i look up under mine i see 2 whats the deal with having one on each manifold?

Justin

What you're seeing is one Cat Converter and one resonator.

The main converter is, as mentioned, behind the Y-pipe, just behind the engine. The other two "precats" are hard to see, because they are buried. One is right behind the radiator, right next to the oil filter. The other is on the back of the motor, right next to the alternator.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
Originally posted by: bigb9582
1999 and 2000 are the ones that need MIL eliminators. 2001 and 2002 DO NOT.

The 99-00 has 4 oxygen sensors, and the rear ones MUST HAVE MIL eliminators to keep from getting a CEL.

Speaking from experience.

UNLESS the 01-02 have a sensor behind the cat - not sure about that...

were are all these sensors located 1 ineach precat but were are the other 2. i just looked under my car and unless the sensor it on the very top of the pipe there is none behind the cat or in front of it because in front of it is a funky looking mess pipe (not sure what its called) there was none on eather side.unless it is pointing straight up i didnt see any.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
what the heck is a mil eliminator. i too have the same problem with egg smell and need a new cat. who has the cheapest? anybody else replace theres and notice any change in performance. i lov ethe sound of my flowmasters and dont really want something thats gonna change the sound too too much

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mil eliminater splices into the o2 sensors wire and tells the comp.its working fine. and eliminates a cel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts