New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I gut my 2 pre-cats and main cat, what would the side effects be? I hear from people that I would get a misfire in the engine, lose alot of back pressue (even with my flowmaster 50 series dragger muffler)... I know an execellent bender who would run me a straight pipe. Would this be at all feasibile to do?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Rasp, rasp... maybe a little loss on a low end torque, a noticable gain at high end, and rasp.

did i mention rasp...

I'd reccomend gutting the pre-cats and then buying a hi-flow cat from ebay for $50. Gutting the main cat and leaving it there does ugly things for the sound of the car.

·
Administrator
24,500 Posts
Not to mention the turbulence...

·
Registered
349 Posts
More pollution... :poke:

Seriously, just get a high-flow cat... you won't lose much (if any) power.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Rasp is a definte.

If you simply gut the main cat you will loose tq, due to the expanding/constricting camber. Definitly replace the main underbody cat with a straight pipe (or a highflow cat for less rasp)

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
i figured GMK would respond to this...

What setup do you have again GMK? IIRC you said headers to straight pipe to Flowmaster. Whatever it is it's loud as ****. ;)

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Yes it is hella loud. As in has "Scared away Mustangs loud"

I have headers, gutted main cat, into flowmasters.

I believe the gutted main cat could attest to my insufficient dyno numbers, hence why I highly recommend a Straight Pipe. (it has been said more than once a gutted main cat will hurt performance)

I haven't had my car for a long while (in the body shop), but I expect to have it back very soon, and I will say BYE BYE to the crappycat and hello to the trubendz straight pipe for the msds headers.

I will post feedback with my thoughts of a gutted main cat vs straight pipe. In both sound and performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts