New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
w00t!
25,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eek - jack slipped while lifting car!

I'll keep this quick... its nothing REALLY major... its not like the engine fell out and the tires collapsed, but when i was lifting up the front of the car (yes, at the correct lift point) where it has been done many times before, the jack slipped or gave out (1 1/2 ton jack) and the front end came down, NO clue what happend, but all the (pink?) fluid from the tank on the left (coolant tank?) poured out.

Other than myself... what F'd up? did a hose just pop loose when the front fell (it only fell like 3 inches... the wheels weren't even off the ground)
or did something crack? I've looked under the car as best i could and it was weird - nothing SEEMED broken or loose... if i hadn't been there, i wouldn't think anything was wrong (aside from the bad smell)
is a 1 1/2 ton jack even enough to lift the front? i was able to do the REAR just fine... (was lowering the GC's)

I've got a garage appointment on Tuesday, but if I can get help here and fix it myself, i'll do it!

Thanks to anyone who can help :)

·
Buyer Beware
6,590 Posts
RE: eek - jack failed while lifting car!

check the radiator hoses under the car. One may have been cut

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts

Well the proper jack points are directly infront of the rear tires, and directly behind the front tires along the pinch weld.
There are no coolant lines that run in these areas.

Now if you were lifting from the front center of the vehicle.. you may have fu your radiator...

eitherway
Follow the "wetness" from the bottom up.. you should be able to find the source.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
RE:eek - jack failed while lifting car!

matt, the same thing happened to once, but it only bent the very bottom of my radiator, nothing wrong though. im actually scared to jack up the car now....but how did the coolant come out? did it gush out or kinda leaked out?

·
Premium Member
10,877 Posts

Originally posted by: ND4SPD
I'll keep this quick... its nothing REALLY major... its not like the engine fell out and the tires collapsed, but when i was lifting up the front of the car (yes, at the correct lift point) where it has been done many times before, the jack slipped or gave out (1 1/2 ton jack) and the front end came down, NO clue what happend, but all the (pink?) fluid from the tank on the left (coolant tank?) poured out.

Other than myself... what F'd up? did a hose just pop loose when the front fell (it only fell like 3 inches... the wheels weren't even off the ground)
or did something crack? I've looked under the car as best i could and it was weird - nothing SEEMED broken or loose... if i hadn't been there, i wouldn't think anything was wrong (aside from the bad smell)
is a 1 1/2 ton jack even enough to lift the front? i was able to do the REAR just fine... (was lowering the GC's)

I've got a garage appointment on Tuesday, but if I can get help here and fix it myself, i'll do it!

Thanks to anyone who can help :)

You're going to need a new radiator --- so you best be towing your car to the garage appointment.

·
Administrator
14,467 Posts

Ugh I did that once. I was using the garage where my dad works (he's a Firefighter) and I was using a jack that was intended for lifting a firetruck so it had a massive plate for lifting. While jacking the car up I didn't notice that part of the jack was touching the oil pan and while working on the car one of the prongs on the jack punctured the pan and oil started pouring out.

I thought I was [censored]ed because it was a Sunday so nobody was open and I couldn't leave the car there because they had to park the trucks where I was. The old man cleaned the area of the puncture w/some acidtone and patched it w/JB Weld. 8hrs and an oil change later it was holding strong. Still holding to this day and this was 2 years ago.

Another stupid moment was when I was fixing the serp belt I trying to diagnose a massive amount of oil that was up in the wheel well & in the engine. The car was jacked just after the radiator and apparently was sitting on the plastic shield when it slipped. Luckily it only busted through the plastic and did no damage.

·
Buyer Beware
6,590 Posts

isnt changing a radiator like a 2-3 hour job? He wouldnt need to take it to a shop.

·
w00t!
25,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

yep, as Eric and Oven thought - the radiator is toast... It wont hold any fluid. (and yeah, i did have to lift from the front *grr*... i've gotta run a dremel along the bottom of the Kaminari sideskirts... cause they extend like 6"inches UNDER the car... or at least cut a little notch for where the jack points are.
Still, I'm happy thats ALL it was though :) - worst fear was that some important metal thing got bent... true, the Rad is important, but its a somewhat easy fix.

It definitely is something i would do myself.... if i was not quite so scared sh*tless about jacking the car up again :rofl: - and i've arranged transportation down to the garage first thing tomorrow so I should be back on the road within a day or two providing they've got a replacement radiator right there... heh, i might inquire about an SVT rad. :biggrin:

Adam - yeah, it gushed like ... theres a cleaver joke that can go here, but at this moment i'm not cleaver enough to think of it. heh.

but gawd... how bout that smell eh? I've washed my hair, my hands, gone out for pizza with my family, and i STILL can remember what it smells like... ugh!

First time for me that I've really messed up while working on the car... and I was feeling pretty damn good after lifting up the rear and unseizing the right rear GC all by myself.... damn it.
I thought i was being so careful too...

Its comforting to hear your experiences JS and Adam, thank you :)

·
Registered
7,178 Posts

<--Is now seriously thinking about jacking the car up somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts

YOu do not use just your jack do you? It is always good to have jack stands to support the vehicle properly.

When I worked At Six Flags, one of the workers there (before I worked there) had lost his life because the jack gave way.

Always use Jack Stands! Glad to see you are okay though.

·
w00t!
25,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Werd... i'm also very glad that no one was close to the car at the time too... I'll take a busted radiator over hurting myself, or one of my two pets that sometimes like to follow me into the garage!
Jackstands WOULD have been used, cept that i didn't even have the car up high enough to get them under... the wheels weren't even off the ground - still had another 2 or so inches to go.

Well, i definitely learned something though... how much i hate the smell of coolant, and that next time, i'm going to use a large piece of wood so that the car is resting on more surface area. and going to bring it to the garage to make triple sure that i was doing it right and that this was just an unfortunate accident.

got some pics... since everyone likes pictures:

...Goodbye, Blue Sky.

like a bad horror movie, this is the Massacre on Pineglade. heh

·
w00t!
25,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RE: jack failed, busted radiator, life sux for the next 2 days - now with pics! lol

oh it gets bettar! - the crazy guy works for the VW dealership here... the red one is the daughters (who is uber hawt :biggrin: ) their punk son has a light blue one with a noisy muffler, the mom has a dark blue (identical to that red one) and the dad comes home with a new car every couple of weeks... heh.

then the covertable one is the neighbours.

I taunt and heckle them from my window here in the computer room everyday... and when i say taunt and heckle, i mean quitely say to myself. :)

·
w00t!
25,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RE: jack failed, busted radiator, life sux for the next 2 days - now with pics! lol

yep yep :)
but as I've said 3 times now - the car wasn't high up enough to use them... the tires weren't even off the ground

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

If you can't properlly jack a car up you should not be working on one.

Let alone replace a radiator. Could it get any easier?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
RE:jack failed, busted radiator, life sux for the next 2 days - now with pics! lol

The radiator is a 30 minute job.

Remember, all those who were at CF2K2 - I did a swap for just such a reason on Heather's (carchk7) slammed Cougar... She tried jacking it up on the front, and jack slipped and punctured the rad - Fluid went everywhere in the parking lot of the hotel.

Good thing you didn't hit your condensor???? :confused:

·
w00t!
25,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RE:jack failed, busted radiator, life sux for the next 2 days - now with pics! lol

Originally posted by: Prez
If you can't properlly jack a car up you should not be working on one.

Let alone replace a radiator. Could it get any easier?
yeah, thats the thing... the car has been jacked up countless times, and yesterday was no different... it wasn't that the jack was in the wrong spot, ...it collapsed... there was nothing i could have done.
Either way, its done, it wont happen again.
and I would have loved to fix it myself, since i like learning new things but i dont have much experience and not much time to play around, i wanted this done right the first time since my mom and i are quite busy fromnow till september since my dad just moved back from overseas.

Originally posted by: DanG

Good thing you didn't hit your condensor???? :confused:
indeed! it was just the radiator... and i was kinda itching to replace it anyway, this was a little sooner than expected but whatever, its a 6yr old car and i was planning on alot of maintenace stuff next year.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
15,948 Posts

Good tips for jacking a car up-
#1 be certain the bleed valve for the jack is tightened ALL the way, this will help prevent a "slip"
B) Always use a small block of wood between the jack surface and the vehicle. This helps prevent a "slip"
III) The wood can also give you room to breathe if you have a car with large sideskirts- You don't have to pump the jack as many times before it hits the bottom of the car, so you don't have to worry about hitting your sideskirts.
four) Get a low profile racing-style jack, and make sure it's at least 1.5 to 2 tons capacity.
omg!!1!1!!!) Losing your radiator to a jack is a good excuse to install an SVT radiator. It's bigger and better for cooling anyway.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.