New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I don't want to sound like a free loader, but does anybody have access to free carfax reports? The reason i ask is because My aund is buying a new car. I told her before she buys it to tell the dealer you want them to pull up a carfax report. I did that when i bought my car. Here is the thing though! When i bought my car, it had a clean carfax report! I got curious and put in my vin number just now and it said i have 16 issues in their database! I have never got in an accident or anything! I am just curious how i could now have 16 issues? If anyone can help me out i will give you the vin number. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I think carfax record both bad things and regular maintenance things depending on where you get your car serviced at.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never had my car maintenced by a garage since i have had it though! That's why i am confused!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Car fax records everything, every title change, everytime the car is sold and bought, when it is transferred from one dealer to another, it covers everything like I said, My car has only had one other owner besides me and it had 22 hits or something like that, becuase in between me and that owner it bounced around North carolina at different dealerships this guy owns, plus the other owner was a rental car company, and it has everytime it was serviced posted in the carfax.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
bah, 3 accidents that resulted in ins claims and dealership work = NONE showing on carfax!! WTF??

Carfax is a big shiney turd.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
huh. I thought maybe the dealer "doctored" the prtinted carfax report they showed me!

·
Registered
746 Posts
what they more than likely did was just print the page that showed accidents, and that page came up with it being clean, since most of the other stuff is normal

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am a dealer, and we don't "doctor" such things...that is one way to a large lawsuit! Carfax doesn't always show every accident. It is used as a guide. Do not take it as the "bible" for a used cars history. Many things will come up which are useful though, such as title history and vehicle registration. Carfax checks state and local records, and that is how they obtain there information. I have access to running reports, and if you would like I can run a report for you.

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.