New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been attempting to start my car for about a week and a half now after replacing a few parts. I've changed the valve cover gaskets, fuel injectors because they were old, both camshaft and crankshaft position sensors new spark plugs and wires. The coolant has been disappearing and I noticed a leak after it was at a shop underneath so I purchased a new radiator to come soon, but otherwise I only have a hvac vaccum line that's busted the grey one and can't determine the size of the line. The car ran basically fine beforehand beside the oil seaping out into the spark plugs and down the engine with no coolant issues.:( my cougar is a 1999 2.5 v6 manual with only 176k miles on stock clutch.

·
Registered
324 Posts
1. Make sure that your spark plug wires are in the correct order on your coil pack.

2. Make sure your connectors are seated properly on your injectors. The plug tabs are prone to break when removing them.

I’m doing the something similar to my 2001 V6 MTX with 122k miles. Valve cover gaskets, lower and upper intake manifold gaskets. I’ll try to post the proper sequence order for the coil pack and spark plugs/ wires. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check the order later in the morning and I'll see if the injectors connections are tight enough a shop broke all thr connections previously but it still worked when seated. Thank you.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Which part? Do you just need a plastic tube? I have spares. What color do you need? Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts

Which one do you need?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Looks like I can’t just remove the grey one. Seems to be glued in. You would have to replace the whole thing or splice another one in. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found out it's fuel related to why it won't start is it possible it's the fuel pressure sensor on thr fuel rail because there is fuel in the rail

·
Registered
324 Posts
Found out it's fuel related to why it won't start is it possible it's the fuel pressure sensor on thr fuel rail because there is fuel in the rail
Yes the fuel sensor is by the rail on the right side coming in. You should see a fuel line coming in from the right side. Since yours is a 99 return style you should have 2 lines. I have a 2000 and 2001 so mine are both returnless. Mine only have 1 line, but you should get an idea of the location by the picture below.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Here is the part you need. You can search the part numbers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought one on ebay just this morning just in case. The fuel pump is about a year old now and I bought it as a whole assembly. The fuel gauge has never worked for me but I know it's not the sending unit as I've done enough research to find out it's the crappy ford wiring in the instrument cluster. I did notice though when I changed out the assembly the old existing assembly was locked in the bottom of the tank so I basically just use the trip meter to measure the miles I do. I've been using 87 non ethanol for about 6 months and just found out in my city that the 93 non ethanol is cheaper than regular 93 so I might switch once I get it running again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny enough I bought that exact one. Also for a while the lever arm wasn't connected on the left side for quite a while about a year and a half due to shops saying to me it doesn't matter. I w a thinking that it wasn't making the top power anyway. But I recently reconnected it with a c clip and the other bushing broke off so didn't have another c clip so I just found a metal fence tie and cut it to size and bent it to where it wouldn't just pull off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I get off of my job through the week I would drive up to 110 mph every day. Always saais to myself "100 miles a day keeps the carbon away"

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well you shouldn’t use the higher octane unless your car is a high performance car. 87 is what is recommended by ford. If you put the higher octane in it may mess something up. If you want to run it I recommend you get a tune done that would be the safer way. The bushings can be found on eBay or at your local auto parts store. They come in a pack of 4 or 5. The fuel gauge not working could be the lever in the tank not hooked up properly or bad wiring somewhere. I’ve seen this over the years. I replaced my fuel pump years ago with out any issues. I have a 2000 V6 MTX. The ring in the tank I had to remove to get the new pump installed correctly. It was in the instructions. You need the secondaries to run or your car will run like crap. Please replace those bushings. Also if it doesn’t run properly it could be the IMRC it’s under the engine cover on top of the front valve cover m, just follow the cable back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Once I get it running correctly I plan on getting headers and then possibly cams. I already have a tuner the sct x4 and there are plenty of tuning shops nearby. Then maybe then I'll tune it on 93 octane.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts