New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the last three months in my spare time Ive been wrenching on my "new" 99 2.5 ATX.

I've repaired:
Timing cover gasket (leaking)
Valve Cover gaskets (leaking a bit)
Upper Manifold gaskets
Lower Manifold Gaskets
Cleaned the Alternator of oil (from timing leak) (tested and 100% working after)
New Oil Pan (updated design) and Gasket
New Belt and Pulley and Tensioner
Rebuilt PS Pump
New Plugs/Wires
New EGR Vave
Repaired Secondary Linkage
Patched cracked or missing vac lines

I can hear the pump prime, but when it cranks it sounds dry. I checked for fuel at the rail, and it gushed out normally. Battery voltage is 12.3 volts. I then checked for spark on #2 and #6 (easy to get too) and got a strong healthy spark. I then made sure my firing order was right, and it is. I'm guessing, maybe the injectors aren't firing for some reason.

The only issues I had during that whole list was some harness socket locking tabs broke, (Ive found thats normal for these cars) and the reluctor wheel on the crank fell off but I'm very sure I put it back on in the same direction and position it was at before. The harness sockets I just zip tied together for now.

The battery was disconnected this whole time, security issue? I would check for injector pulse, but the injectors are buried under the manifold.

Heart sank when I turned the key, Ive done everything by the book as usual, but ive failed somehow.

EDIT: sprayed some carb and choke cleaner (all I had) into the intake, engine cranked and backfired LOUD one time. No fuel smell around engine, just a whiff of warm electrics? and slight burn smell.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Over the last three months in my spare time Ive been wrenching on my "new" 99 2.5 ATX.

I've repaired:
Timing cover gasket (leaking)
Valve Cover gaskets (leaking a bit)
Upper Manifold gaskets
Lower Manifold Gaskets
Cleaned the Alternator of oil (from timing leak) (tested and 100% working after)
New Oil Pan (updated design) and Gasket
New Belt and Pulley and Tensioner
Rebuilt PS Pump
New Plugs/Wires
New EGR Vave
Repaired Secondary Linkage
Patched cracked or missing vac lines

I can hear the pump prime, but when it cranks it sounds dry. I checked for fuel at the rail, and it gushed out normally. Battery voltage is 12.3 volts. I then checked for spark on #2 and #6 (easy to get too) and got a strong healthy spark. I then made sure my firing order was right, and it is. I'm guessing, maybe the injectors aren't firing for some reason.

The only issues I had during that whole list was some harness socket locking tabs broke, (Ive found thats normal for these cars) and the reluctor wheel on the crank fell off but I'm very sure I put it back on in the same direction and position it was at before. The harness sockets I just zip tied together for now.

The battery was disconnected this whole time, security issue? I would check for injector pulse, but the injectors are buried under the manifold.

Heart sank when I turned the key, Ive done everything by the book as usual, but ive failed somehow.

EDIT: sprayed some carb and choke cleaner (all I had) into the intake, engine cranked and backfired LOUD one time. No fuel smell around engine, just a whiff of warm electrics? and slight burn smell.
Clean your battery terminals. And make sure that the connection is tight on both the positive and negative terminals. My 01 doesn’t like the negative loose, so I have to tighten it.

Make sure you check your grounds for corrosion and loose ones. This is common after taking the car apart to fix certain items.

Your broken tabs could also cause this as some may not be seated right, undo them and press them together firmly and zip tie them again. Check all connections again to be certain everything is connected.

Check fuses, sometimes they blow if something wasn’t hooked up right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts