New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had my clutch replaced at a transmission shop next door and they put it back together right. But my car wont crank over with the key in the ignition but can start using the relay in the engine compartment. They had it towed to a auto shop and they couldn't figure out what's wrong. I think it might be either the ignition lock or the switch. But before they got into it I left the key in my car and locked it with my fob. I was elsewhere and so they unlocked it and drove it in the shop fine so that could be why.

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Clutch replacement is pretty invasive. There's a 99.9% chance that whatever the problem was, it was something they touched. Most likely a wire connector. I would not be wasting any brain cells on ignition switches or anything else not related to the clutch work.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,716 Posts
More likely a wire on the starter.

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
I would put my money on one of the wire bundle connectors.
3001 carries most of the communications necessary for a start signal to get to the PCM, but the others are critical too and they are easy to not get tight enough. They should snap together decisively. If they seem mushy, its probably not right.
3001 has a bolt to draw it together so its easy to operate but also easy to forget.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts