New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well with the recent sale of my DSM. I have two options and am completelly torn between them.

Option one:

Buy a 2002 VW GTI with the 1.8T motor and prob mod it over time.

Option two:

Buy components to build my dream PC:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
4GB of SDRAM
2 - 74 GB 10,000 RPM hard drives
2- ASUS EN6800GT/2DT/256MB Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card running in SLI mode
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4800CDBOX Dual 2.8GHZ
21" LCD
32" Plasma for HDTV gaming for the Xbox360 which I already bought just waiting for the special day.

And then get a cheap 1500 dollar car for a year or so. THe up side of the PC is it will allow me time to work on my webdesign so I can start my own business.

What would you guys do???

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
A question i've struggled with myself lately..... mod the car, or mod the house.

From what you've said, I would choose the house... plus if it will aid you in starting up your own business - so much the better! :)

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
dude the house modding. Even though modding the gti would be cool, when you get your house ready for your business, you can have more than one fun toy and you could afford a better car.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Originally posted by: lbizboy
dude the house modding. Even though modding the gti would be cool, when you get your house ready for your business, you can have more than one fun toy and you could afford a better car.
Same here. Home business.
Your hours+ Your money= Your hand picked car. :thumbsup: My moneys on the home business screw the VW.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
An even worse investment then a car is a top of the line computer. These words are coming from a guy with 5 PCs, a guy with an engineering degree in computer science, and a guy that has worked for the past 3 years building and servicing custom computers. I would highly recommend picking up the October 2005 issue of Maximum PC, and read the article on page 44. Last month (September Issue) Maximum PC built their dream machine for $12,800. Well, in the October issue they built another machine for only $1,200. At 1/10 the cost the machine benchmarked on average only 25-35% lower in performance. The setup you want does sound pretty sweet, but two things to note.

1. I hope you play games a hell of a lot to justify that cost

2. If this machine is to be used for business, why are you building a gaming rig? You do not need half of that stuff for a web design system, specially if you are just starting off.

So if you're going to build a system, stay a steps or two back from the latest hardware. That way the several grand you saved today can easily be used to buy another computer a year or two from now, where you can get way better hardware then anything available today, and at a reasonable price. But if you are ok knowing that the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ you bought today will be $400-500 cheaper by Christmas, go ahead, because you have far more money then brains.

Just some food for thought. Not meant to be offensive in anyway, I just don't know any better way of putting it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
I'd say house/PC. You can find a happy medium between an all out cash hog of a PC and a POS $499 Dell. Something thats well taken to Web Design, but at the same time has some good gaming capabilities.

And if you're getting an XBOX 360, you don't need another PC for gaming.

But I say house/PC because you can get a better money flow coming in, and get a hella nice car in a year or so. Then you can have your cake, and eat it too.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
That PC won't cost too much if you shop right, but damn that 4800+ X2 will take you for a financial ride...

Coming from a person with a Dual Core 64-Bit PC.... you may want to wait it out for Vista, as most of the advantages can not be used in Windows....

Also the 7800GTX is not much more expensive than the 6800GT's now...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ive been a webdesigner for 10 years now. And i do tons of freelance work for my own business.

I think its real dumb to by an insane pc rig to justify it as a business expense. It really reaps no benefits unless you play a lot games which dont really equate to work.

Sound like you just wanna buy stuff to buy it. Buy a decent PC, a fax machine, router, network components, a lazer printer. Those are the things you really need for a business.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeh I don't really do much PC gaming anymore simply because I do not have a PC to do it with.

What processor do yuo reccomend natthomas? I could spend way less I guess and get a cheaper processor and a laser printer and a small plasma for the xbox360. I have about 4K to dedicate to that stuff. I already have a job as a web designer just want to go freelance and start my own thing so I can become my own boss in a couple years or so.

I've deceided to drop the Car idea and go with the PC and pick up an OLD school VW and just tinker with that.

What are good AMD processors on the market right now? I assume a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor would be just fine at x2 2.0GHZ for now and it's a fraction the price at 375 bux compared to 850 of the 4800+

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I mod our house over the cars anyday. I was in a situation such as yours awhile back but I wasn't starting my own
business I just do freelance to make money to mod my vehicles. What I did was instead of buying an expensive
computer I bought a solid less expensive model that is more than capable of my work load. Maybe that will help
you to save some cash and get your car too. And I bought my gaming T.V. about a year ago Sony 57" wOOt!
Real house modding(carpet/cabinets/tile/add-on) is way better than dumping cash into a vehicle because if you
ever sell the house you're almost guarenteed to get that money back.

Good luck with the web design business Prez!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks gyger. I already dropped the price of my hardware for my PC from 3500 to 1900 and it will be more than able to do what I want. I think I can still cut some things down or out.

I really appreciate your guys input here. This has helped me alot!!!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
What processor do yuo reccomend natthomas?
The Athlon 64 X2 3800+ is a solid, and much more practical choice. I would also recommend dropping down to a single video card and to 2GB of ram, as few apps came anywhere close to utilizing dual video cards and anything more then 2GB. Also, I am assuming that you are looking at the WD Raptor 10k RPM Drives. I recommend getting a drive that supports NCQ(Native Command Line Queing) and SATA2 over a 10kRPM drive. Drives that support NCQ, have been proven to perform better.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
what year and model VW are you looking at? I possibly might have one to sell you cheap thats in amazing condition

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
My question is why do u want a AMD??? Looking for a heater for your house too...... Intel Inside!!!! :banana:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.