New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pissed because all the way to work this morning my car would shake heavily every time I would pass 40mph. As soon as I got to work I checked the tire pressure and everything was fine and I didn't run over or hit anything with the tires either.

The weird thing is I had driven my car yesterday before the snow and everything was absolutely fine. The only thing I can think of is that something is frozen and thats what's making it shake?

I know this should go under problems but I figured I'd ask here since all you Mass/Conn people are dealing with the snow and ice too and someone might have the same problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or input as to what might be causing the shaking.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Josh,

I had the same problem last night driving back from NH in the storm -- most likely it's snow inside one your wheels, putting them out of balance. If the weather warms up enough it should melt out on it's own, or just hit the car wash & it should be fine.

Chuck

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response buddy.:thumbsup: Yeah, the tire(s) out of balance because of the snow and ice does make sense. I hope that's all it is.

AHHH, I can't friggin wait until spring!!:mad:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I also had this problem, but did anyone else have the problem that when they FIRST start their car in the cold weather, the engine knocks alot?

·
Registered
723 Posts
it is in fact the snow and ice that builts up. Spoked wheels are prone to this because larger individual deposits of snow and Ice build up, and they don't hold as whel as wheels with smaller openings. So with the spokes, most of it will fly out before refreezeing making it more likely one or two large deposits will remain throwing the wheel further out of balance than say a wheel that has it pretty evenly cake in amongst it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the same problem whenever we get a lot of snow. It'll be fine once it melts.It was really bad after the big storm we had & I couldn't go over 40 MPH or it would shake like crazy. It's kind of embarrasing when everybody is passing you on the highway & they look at you like you should be driving a Yugo.

·
Registered
723 Posts
if you just lightly ride the brakes as if you were drying water off of them if warms the rim and in a miles or too, or when you hit a small bump the chunks should start to pop off

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
mine knocks too... I think by design maybe the valvetrain is a little noisy.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i had that problem on my car the last snow storm i think it was just the build of snow and ice on and around the wheels. because the problem went away after driving 20 mins

1 - 9 of 9 Posts