New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago my coug wouldn't start after putting some gas in it AND THE DAY BEFORE I HAD TO GO TO CALI WITH IT. It made that click when I tried to turn the ignition which usually means that the battery was dead. But the lights and everything electrical worked fine so we thought it was the starter. AFter a few hours me and my dad were able to go get a new & bigger battery & we cleaned the plaque off and it finally worked. Problem was that the old battery still was good so I couldn't have been that. So we went to check it at Autozone and Napa for everything and they couldn't fine anything wrong w/ it. So we thought it was good now so we went to cali. What happened, bam once in LA after doing some stuff same thing happened. We had to wait around and check the unknown area to get some help, luckily we got a tow truck late and took it to a mechanic which found out that a cord around the bottom of the car was disconnected, and that the started wasn't tighten enough so he did that and the car worked. Now after that we thought it was finally over. WRONG just thursday and last night the car almost did the same thing again, but luckily on the second or third try of turning the ignition it worked, but I'm getting to the point where I don't want to drive my tight coug anymore so if anyone has had something similar to this and has fixed it, please tell me how.

Also just incase this is related I have a atx 2000 v6 cougar, everything is stock performance and engine wise, but I have neon lights and the fan angel light mod connected to the same transporter and switch. I forgot who but they told me to buy a 40 amp relay and just connected anywhere in my fuse box to I guess stabalize the neons & angel eyes, but in the only place I could put it made the side headlight lights stay on. I took it off thinking this would drain my battery faster, but considering all this should I put it back on to see if i'll help or replace another relay with it?

Sorry for writing so much, but I wanted to be as specific as possible w/ my situation to see if anyone has had the same problem and can help me out. thank you

·
Registered
746 Posts
You have a lose battery cable some where. My car used to do this time to time, usually it was the negative cable around the battery even when it seemed tight it was still to lose, I just changed the battery terminal out and it has worked fine from then on.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have the same problem. The cougar did this last night. Luckily I was able to get it to start and made it home. I will double check my connections, but I don't think thats it. My gauges reset with every click, but my clock and radio don't reset. I was thinking starter, but I thought once a starter went, it was gone? This problem happened once two weeks ago and I haven't had any more problems with it, until last night. This morning I tried to start it and all I got was click. I searched around on the board and I got a couple of different answers. They had anything from battery connections to replace starter. Monday I will have it put on a diagnostic machine and hopefully cure this problem.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
i am having the same problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All right Update on my car, and no its not looking better. Just today during my break in school I went out of campus to go buy something to eat. Passing a railroad track my car suddenly seemed like it wanted to die out, my cd player turned off and on again, my air conditionare too, my guages went crazy up and then down & back to normal, my wipers turned on and then my gas milague & gauge change and said I had less than what I really had. This later on started getting more frequent on my way back to school, until at one stop sign my car turned off and I had to put the shift back in park and turn on the ignition to start again. Finally I got to school and open my hood but everything seemed fine so i disconnected my neons just in case and I went to class. After my class, I got back to my car to go directly home and as soon as I got out of the parking the car did all the same symptoms and died again although this time it did want to turn on and everything was dead, radio wouldn't turn on or the little lights that turn on just before you turn all the way the key to ignition. I had a bunch of college student behind me trying either to get through and park or leave the school. I checked again, and turned out that my passenger side neons cable was broken, either at the rail tracks or somewhere else they must have been hanging low and ripp off all the way to the engine bay before getting to the transporter, where it is I don't know. so I seperated the +&- cables from the neons and those connected to the transported from that neon to make sure it wasn't causing problems, so after a while I tried again and the car started but it still was doing the symptoms and wanting or dying on me so I just parked it again and called my dad to pick me up. after 30 min. he got here and I tried to take my car w/ him driving behing me just in case it died on me again and it sort of worked fine all the way home. The only points where it did all the symptoms was when I passed over a bump, when I tried putting my a/c( i live in AZ & its hot today), and when going inclined up into the garage where it died half way, and finally inside before I had a chance to put it on park. So from what I can tell it doesn't seem to be the neons even though they could have had something to do w/ it because i disconnected them, and everything turned off&on so I'm thinking I have a electrical problem maybe w/ some of the wires maybe melted or causing discharges. I don't know, so now again has this happened to anybody, specially to the people who have responded?

Again sorry for writing so much but I wanted to be as specific as possible in order to have more people understand and know what Im going through

·
Registered
388 Posts
Its weird my car never did any of the symptoms while driving, just wouldn't start. BUT. I noticed the leds underneath would act like they were resetting and coming on when the car would click. The leds never come on when I start the car. I manually turn them on every time. I have a mechanic coming to my house tomorrow. I hope it's the starter. Then at least I can fix it and be on my way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hell yeah, I hope it is also just the alternator that way I can easily replace it and get this little nightmare over with. Im taking the coug to my mechanic tomorrow and hopefully it will be that or something that he can fix, I'll also give him my cd manual just incase he may need some help, since most of the stuff in it I don't get.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think I have my problem fixed. The battery had an internal short. I replaced the battery, and I'm crossing my fingers. Since I change the battery, no problems and the car has started every time. I'll report back if something else happens. I got off easy if this solves my problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I finally fixed my problem too. It was the battery terminals, I got em changeds and tighten. But what pisses me off is that I took my car to NAPA autocare were I work, and they were trying to charge me over $500 supposedly for the alternator which was 370 and the rest labor and other sH!t. I don't even make that in a month over there. So I was like just do the battery terminals which they supposedly did for 10 and I took my car to my mechanic, and the next day he fixed it and said it was just the battery terminals loose and the cables getting messed up all for $30 (Those guys didn't even do that right), they double checked the alternator and found no problem with it, they even fixed my dads side mirror at no extra charge(we gave them $10 as a thank you) instead of paying 200 to get a new one for the santa fe. Seriously how messed up is that, even their people they try to rip off.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I hate to bring up a resting thread But, did any of you guys try Jumping the car when it wouldn't start??? I am haveing the SAME problem.. no start, all clicks. Tried jumping the batt' but same thing unless I tried shorting the selonoid then it would Turn the engine but not fire it (yes the key was in the on/start position) ANY help would be appreicated. I am not yet able to get the new batt' and try that, I am here at the house alone as of the moment trying to isolate this all.... I have checked ALL the connections and fuses that I could find, all seem well. The batt' cables Seem tight.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.