New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just love my school. My friend Ethan just told me that yesterday somebody broke into his car, stole his headunit got into his trunk and took his factory headunit and his mp3 player. All while he was in school. I don't think that everyone here should have to worry about people breaking into our cars especially when there is a police station one block away. Now I have the Kenwood with the D-mask, I still take the face plate off and I park close to the school.

Do you guys have any tips for me or suggestions I should bring to the school about saftey in the parking lot?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I'm quite aware from personal experience that the Cougar is very easy to get into -- no frame on the windows makes it an easy target. Get an active alarm system with a proximity sensor, if you want the best coverage -- and have it signal a remote to let you know something is going down.

·
Rockin' Mom-mobile
8,010 Posts
I agree, my car is parked about ten steps from my front door and it gets picked on a lot. I need to get one but keep wanting to spend money on other stuff. :(

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Nowadays alarms are pretty much useless. Nobody cares if one is going off. Most people don't even look to see what car its comming from. Theives know this - and just let them go off while they steal your stuff. Only the novice 16 year olds will run away from this. For advice... An alarm may help a little bit... Otherwise, I have always had this really cool idea to put an electrified metal ring around the stereo, speakers, and amp that is activated when the alarm is on. Around the same voltage as a stun gun. That'll teach 'em! When I was in high school, I deterred someone from stealing my stereo by super glueing razor blades to the back of the headunit. They didn't get the stereo, but there was blood all over my dash. The mess was worth it! Oh, and cut the wire to your trunk release button.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Originally posted by: ZEXCougar
Otherwise, I have always had this really cool idea to put an electrified metal ring around the stereo, speakers, and amp that is activated when the alarm is on. Around the same voltage as a stun gun. That'll teach 'em! When I was in high school, I deterred someone from stealing my stereo by super glueing razor blades to the back of the headunit. They didn't get the stereo, but there was blood all over my dash. The mess was worth it!
Wow, that's nice and legal.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
i would question if they had cameras but my univ. parking lot has cameras all over the place and when my ***** got key twice(in the same freakin week) two years ago they coudl do anythign about finding the person on tape so that is useless... but if you were to gert a nice high end DEI brand alarm like viper that has the remote alraming.. so your little keyfob starts beeping oor vibrating if your alarm gets messed wiht... they are like near 400 bucks but worth ti if your scered about your stuff gettin jacked... my friendd had one in his 1st gen eclipse that was a very nice alarm

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
I would say that about 75% of all break ins are by someone you know..
or someone who knows you.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Originally posted by: joemamaTypeR
Originally posted by: ZEXCougar
Otherwise, I have always had this really cool idea to put an electrified metal ring around the stereo, speakers, and amp that is activated when the alarm is on. Around the same voltage as a stun gun. That'll teach 'em! When I was in high school, I deterred someone from stealing my stereo by super glueing razor blades to the back of the headunit. They didn't get the stereo, but there was blood all over my dash. The mess was worth it!
Wow, that's nice and legal.
I don't see why not.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It's called a booby trap. In this country something of that sort it illegal. People doing things like that have been sued by the theif. Hell homeowners have been sued (and won) by burglars when they hurt themselves while robbing a house.

P

·
0 Posts
I know someone personally who did the razor blade thing and got sued , it was in florida in 1992 , the thief sued the car owner for damages, and won! I can get a dei alarm with two way arming, remote start and window options to make them roll up and down with key fob, also has 1 mile range to start car and additional mini piezo alarm under dash to make loud in the interior as well for about 300 shipped. it is a dei product, i have it , not installed yet, and i can get more with my account through a wholesaler, the draw back is installing this amp, most places want 150 or so to do it, and they are difficult, most places won`t install mine because of insurance reasons as i have a mtx , with remote start could mean liability, just food for thought though!

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
yeah, don't bump your system in a place where you keep your car a lot..

N

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: joemamaTypeR
It's called a booby trap. In this country something of that sort it illegal. People doing things like that have been sued by the theif. Hell homeowners have been sued (and won) by burglars when they hurt themselves while robbing a house.
I honestly wouldnt care. Go ahead and sue, you werent supposed to be in my car anyways.

You seem to take it kinda personally.....jack systems for a living? ;)

·
Registered
902 Posts
That's stupid... its like sueing McDonalds for hot coffee.. whats this world coming too...

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
My alarm makes me sleep better at night.....that's all that counts. Remotes are useless. By the time your to your car-a good thief is gone with your stuff.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by: RiverRojo
My alarm makes me sleep better at night.....that's all that counts. Remotes are useless. By the time your to your car-a good thief is gone with your stuff.
not true, they are very helpful. i love man, and have caught ppl in the act because of the remote

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by: RiverRojo
not true, they are very helpful. i love man, and have caught ppl in the act because of the remote

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I thought about this one too... You could mount a camera and have it turn on with a motion detector mounted inside the car. Anyone who went in your car would be filmed. The cops still probably wouldn't do anything about it though... They would just give you a report and leave. It always amazed me ever since I had my first break in... If the theif gets away from the scene of the crime they get off scott free. Nobody even looks for them.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Any type of aftermarket headunit will be a target, even if face is removed, and thats because most just put the face somewhere hidden in the car. Defeats the whole purpose in even getting a detachable face unit . I remember the good old style pull out headunits. Those were the best anti theft headunits...but were hell to hide or take with you. Nothing llike carrying a 2lb chunk of electronics in your backpack to school. And it even being a cassette player at that.
I tried the catch a theif camera trick...(not cougar, but friends infinity)they stole the camera as well, which was mounted inside a tweeter pod in the A pillar. Then tore the backseat in half to get to the VCR, and all this was about 1pm in a shopping mall parkinglot. We were trying to get at a group of thugs which had raided the lot before. The Infinity was supposed to be a trap....nothing works anymore. Somehow they knew what was up. Just nothing you can do to protect your ****.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts