New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
? is this correct? and how do i do it?caps...

ok im running three twelve inch subs (250wattsrms each) and they each have a 250 watt rms amp to power them do i need a cap per sub as i am running three? if it makes a difference they are in the same box......
if i do need them where in the system do i need to fit them and some people have said i will need to "charge" them first ? is this correct? and how do i do it?

·
Registered
388 Posts
nah you just need 1 if you stay with your current setup. If you start adding other things I.E. bigger subs and amps -which draw more current you would need to step up to either dual 1 farad caps or just a 2 farad cap. adding a yellow top will help with the strain on your system also. I myself have stock batt and alt and running 2 caps. The cougar is notorious for weak stock alt's. Rule of thumb is 1 farad per 1000 watts. But if you listen to your tunes at {->high volumes for long period's of time<- wouldn't suggest} you might invest in the 2nd cap. Lukkydogg and a few more might jump in and help give some more info.
Gregg

·
Registered
388 Posts
as far as the placement - You are probably running a distro block and you are suppose to run the cap after the block and inline with the amp. Which would mean you would need 3 caps. BUT I have mine run like this. 1 4awg going in and three 8 awg coming out and on the sides where the 4awg goes in I have 2 8 awg going in and that is where I tied in my caps one per side. Without looking at the distro block it might be hard to understand. As far as charging yes you will need to charge them. They should come with a piece of wire that has a resistor inline with the wire. Basically just connect one side with the power coming in and the other side to the power side of the cap. Be sure to ground the cap before charging the cap . It should roughly take 40 secs per cap to charge. Or thats what it took mine. Someone might have a better explanation or diagram to help you with.
Gregg

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
caps also come in half farads, for up to 500 watts. if you wanted to add your cap after your distribution block, you could use 1/2 farad cap per amp, and have the cap right before the amp. the directions show you how to chare it, its really easy. and it takes a lot less time than i thought it would. it was done in under a minuet. 1/2 farad caps run about $100 bucks (mine was. its a fosgate one from best buy), and 1 farad caps (for up to 100 watts like was said before) run about $150 (maybe?, something around there?).

·
Registered
388 Posts
I got both of mine from the net and paid roughly $110 for both caps and shipping. Mine are a no name called American ACC. But they do the job.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
if you get a cap just get the larger ring terminals fit (the ones the will fit 0 awg wire) and then scrap your distro block and use your cap as a block 3 8 awg wires will easily fit into the power out side with a 0 awg clamp... that way ou will have a 4 awg going into it and three 8 awg coming out...you wont need wires any thincker then that for 250 wRMS. my cap came with what they call a charging bulb looks like an inlie light bulb basically like they said above put it in line with the cap grounded and hook up your main fuse...bulb lights up and then dims when it is done..i have a 1 F Voodoo cap 85 bucks shipped on ebay to canada...and that was with the larger teminal rings as well..just make sure your cap is within foot or two of the amps...wire wise...

G

·
Caps are $hit. Plain and simple. They are a good idea in theory, aka it takes the hit instead of the alternator or the battery, but this leads to the alternator working harder since the cap is sucking even more juice as it is a store and foward set up.
I am a firm believer in a dual battery set up. Good rule of thumb......Big systems need Big Power. There is no subsitute for
more power.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
if you have two batteries the alt is going to work just as friggin hard to charge both of them as it would to charge the cap and battery..the only function of a cap is to store and regulate power...that sounds almost like a battery other then all it does is store power.....hmmmm that means that surges still happen much like if you didnt have either a spare bat or cap then your amp would get hit from a surge unless your inline pops...then your okay..either way two batts or a batt and a cap both do the same thing...unless your running two or three heavy load amps and have two alts and a desire to win every DB drag out there, the cheapest and most effeceint way is a battery (upgrade to yellow top) and a cap..plain and simple..the battery upgrade isnt even that necessary and unless your lights dim on long bass hits you probably dont even need the cap..but madmale a 1 Farad cap will do you fine and leave plenty of room for upgrading..a nice digital one will add a few extra bells and whistles to your system as well
-------------------------
three 250w RMS subs and three 250w RMS ampps is hardly a big system either...not knocking your setup madmale just makin a point.. i only have one 500 wRMS 12" and one 500 wRMS amp..i have a 1 Farad Voodoo cap..works great..no light problems and definately no shotage of bass..

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the advice guy's i am definatly going to get a cap appreciate all the info

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I have a cap and I can tell the difference... I'm runnin 2 1100watt subs with 2 1200 watt amps... it hits alot harder with the cap in play...

·
Registered
388 Posts
When I had mine playing without the caps it looked like my headlight's were dancing to the music, or small strobes. Now they don't budge, unless hella hard knockin for 20 or so mins. I think I need a set of earplugs for christmas, well by now maybe hearing aids.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts