New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I thinka tv in the dash would look sweet if someone could design this for our car.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
It would take alot of work, but im sure it could be done. There are many types of HUD's that would come close to the one pictured. What could be done is place a LCD above the speedometer and have the actual speed read from another source, like an LED type found in late model caddy's and some digitalized dash systems.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I've had my entire dash out of the car looking a doing something along these lines. But, the cluster that is in the car from the start is far too complex to modify for this, so we went ahead and chose to ditch that piece, and replace it with a custom fabbed part. Using all autometer gauges you can replace everything that you lose, and have more accurate gauges to boot. I think total cost in parts (minus the gauges and screens) was about $25, and it only took about a day to do the initial mock up. I'm now just waiting on the CF so we can finish the part.

E1

·
8,550 Posts
Yes, yes, yes your temp gauge matters. It may not do much during normal operation, but if you're having a problem the temperature gauge can help you quickly diagnose the problem and possibly save your engine.

Could you install a screen and make the speedometer actually part of the software driving the screen, so it would display on the screen? That'd be neat. (As long as it worked correctly.)

--RJ

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a two websites of companies that make computers that you can put in your car. This computer can display the speed along with a whole bunch of other stuff. The second computer that I say was Dashpc. I don't know how accurate either of them are at displaying engine statistics or how difficult they would be to install.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
aebp, I own the G-Net Aurora AutoPC. Its a nice unit, but their software sucks, and the computer must be manually booted when you get in the vehicle and shutdown when your done. I have since built my own system for 1/3 of the cost that I paid for the G-Net, and I am much happier now. The computer boots when I start the car, and shuts down 15 seconds after I turn off the car.

E1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts