New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
I have a 2000 Special Edition, has all the options except for ABS, which I now regret not getting, seeing as how it was only a $500 option. My question is this, my car now has around 10K miles. Is it possible for me to get ABS brakes NOW? My car is obviously equipped to handle it, it has the guage lights for ABS, etc. Also, how much would it cost to get ABS put on NOW, I'm assuming it'd be more than the $500 cost when you buy the car. The only thing I'm unhappy about with my special edition are the breaks. They already squeak at 10K and I really want ABS. So is it possible and how much would it cost?

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Actually, the sensor is part of the hub, not the rotor. However, the rotors are different because they have an internal toothed ring that the hub's sensor "senses". That being said, you would need 4 new hubs and rotors, sensors, possibly new brake booster, ABS Actuator, etc., etc. VERY expensive!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok new question then, why do my brakes squeak at 10,000 miles and how much would it cost to replace them, and what kind of brakes should I get?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
your brakes squeak because they are ford OEM brake pads and some weird coating on the rotors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.