New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear that you shouldnt neglect to change this. However I have no idea what the procedure is. I tried to search but came up with zip. I have a 2000 cougar with manual transmission.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Yes, purchase a shop manual for a more detailed how to, but you will find a drain plug that can removed with a 3/8th in ratchet on the lower backside of the MTX, and a fill plug on the front side a little higher up. It is recommended that you remove the fill plug first, just to make sure it is not seized before removing the drain plug. Drain out from the drain plug, reinstall, and refill, done.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
And dont use atf fluid. (thats what comes factory, im not crazy) Use royal purple syncromax, or a synthetic diesel engine oil 5W-40. Im using diesel engine oil in mine.

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,415 Posts
ATF works just fine. I have nothing but ATF in every MTX75 i have had and have almost 600K miles (249K, 225K, 125K) combined on them without a single issue. the supposed issue according to Terry Haines is that ATF swells the bushings in the shift forks, but the bushings are metal (or on the later 1/2 fork its got ball bearings in it) and its just not possible for a fluid to swell a metal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
According to my chart @ work .. mtx75 1995-2011, XT-M5-QS (Full synthetic MTX fluid)

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,415 Posts
According to my chart @ work .. mtx75 1995-2011, XT-M5-QS (Full synthetic MTX fluid)
yes, back in late 2000 or early 2001 Ford changed the spec from ATF to the XT-M5-QS which is what is commonly referred to as Ford Honey (due to its color). this is really the best choice but its also quite expensive at about 20$+ a quart usually.

·
8,532 Posts
It used to be that you put in ATF and added a half bottle of "friction modifier". Fortunately they changed that some years ago. On a related note, does anyone need half of a bottle of friction modifier?

·
Administrator
24,478 Posts
A little less than 3 quarts.

Reactions: Alecte

·
Registered
114 Posts
ATF works just fine. I have nothing but ATF in every MTX75 i have had and have almost 600K miles (249K, 225K, 125K) combined on them without a single issue. the supposed issue according to Terry Haines is that ATF swells the bushings in the shift forks, but the bushings are metal (or on the later 1/2 fork its got ball bearings in it) and its just not possible for a fluid to swell a metal.
What kind (brand) of fluid should i be looking for? Also what thickness?

·
Registered
3,513 Posts

Reactions: Alecte
1 - 11 of 11 Posts