New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out why my cougar doesnt honk when i lock it. i did the diagnostic thing on it, and im curious as to whether the horn is supposed to honk when u turn the key in the hatch lock hole. anyone know if it is supposed to? or can someone go out to their car and see?

mine only honks during the diagnostic when the button on the key fob is pressed to release the hatch, the interior hatch release button is pressed, or when the hatch itself is lifted.

idk if you have to do the diagnostic thing or not, but this is what i did to see if everything works:

Activate the self test by pressing the hood switch 7 times really fast, then open and close each door, press the trunk release and open and close the hatch, use a key to lock and unlock each door and the hatch and finally test the hood switch. To end this, start the car and then turn it off and remove the key.

Thanks!

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
F that... mine doesn't honk when I lock it, and i LOVE it that way :tongue: (the lights flash, and thats it)

Its hella obnoxious when a car honks when the alarm is activated! :cover:

edit: so... to answer your question - I've actually had TWO 1999's, and neither has ever honked when I locked it, nor honked when I used the hatch key-hole :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I hate that honking, it's SO annoying. I say forget it and if you really want to know it's locked then add more lights on the same circuit all over the car :biggrin: or rig up an MP3 playing horn to say "I'm locked" :biggrin: ooh or growl like a cougar! Cuz you know, locked....growling...it kinda matches. Both are saying go away, you're not breaking in :tongue:

·
Registered
231 Posts
i can click my fob as fast as i want as many times as i want, and it wont honk no matter what.

you guys, dont worry about the horn being annoying or anything, thats not what im asking. idc about your opinion on how it sounds. k thanks
Hi JayZee.:wave: Again, some very early 1999 model year Cougar's (I had one), produced in the early/mid to late months of 1998 do not honk when you press the alarm button the second time. If you have one of these early Cougars, there is no reprogramming that can be done to make these vehicle alarms honk.

Not very far into the 1999 model year (I do not know the exact day/month of 1998), the Cougar alarm system was changed so that it did beep when the keyfob button was pressed the second time.

This information is not a guess or opinion, it comes directly from Ford.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Hi JayZee.:wave: Again, some very early 1999 model year, produced in the mid to late months of 1998 do not honk when you press the alarm button the second time. If you have one of these early Cougars, there is no reprogramming that can be done to make these vehicle alarms honk.

Not very far into the 1999 model year (I do not know the exact day/month of 1998), the Cougar alarm system was changed so that it did beep when the keyfob button was pressed the second time.

This is information is not my guess or opinion, it comes directly from Ford.

mine was made 08/08/98 is there a way i can make it honk at all?:crazy:

·
Registered
231 Posts
mine was made 08/08/98 is there a way i can make it honk at all?:crazy:
Hi Jameson250s.:wave: Anything is possible, so I am sure there is some way to rewire the system, or wire in another horn so the alarm system would honk.

However, I do not know what it would entail to rewire it (now have a beeping 2001). I know there have been other posts concerning this subject, but I have never seen anyone post about successfully accomplishing the task of making an early 1999 non-beeper into a beeper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts