New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went down to a local body shop that was reccomended to me by a friend. I asked him how much it would be to get my Z3 fenders and Visteon side skirts put on. 700 bucks! Anyone have similar mods and got it for cheaper or more expensive?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
wow is that with paint, prep and fitment...sounds steep to me. :shrug:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, 700 out the door. He says he needs to blend into the door and all this stuff. He says it will look really good though. I dont have that kind of money.

Oh yeah, he said he could make a custom roof or hood scoop for cheap, and it would look like it was built on the car. Strange how he could do that for cheap, but not put on some fenders and side skirts.

2 hours per fender to take them off, 4 hours of labor just there, so he says.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Have him just paint them. There is a how-to for the fenders, and the sideskirts are even easier. Drop your car off, and just have him paint the fenders and skirts. He will be able to match perfectly with the paint because he has the car right there to match. Just put them on yourself after. It will save u alot of money.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definetly a good idea, but i was thinking id put them on, then bring it there? that would still work i think. Thanks for the idea

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Thats outrageous...I was just given an estimate for a paint and install of a WW kit for $275. Find another shop!

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
If he says that he is going to blend it into the door, it sounds like he wants to mold them in.. tell him you don't want them molded, and it'll most likely be cheaper..

·
Registered
815 Posts
To do fenders CORRECTLY, it IS neccecary to blend into the doors, etc to get a good match. If you dont do this EXPECT the paint to be slightly off-color. This is normal bodyshop procedure. If you dont do a blend you will see a transition from one pannel to the other. If you blend, the slight color change wont be nearly as obveous or even near impossible to detect unless you know EXACTLY what your looking for. You will always have a slight color difference due to fading, etc. It doesnt matter even if the car just rolled off the line. there are going to be color differences if something has to be painted. Even if you look at 2 cars that came off the assembly line at the same time, same color, chances are that you could tell a slight difference in tint from one to the other. Also, plastic bumpers, fiberglass, etc take paint differently, and fade differently. Ever notice how bumpers on basically every car ever produces are just slightly different in color even if they are brand new? thats why bodykits (if they arent molded) etc, arent as high on the priority list as far as matching goes. heck, they dont match form the factory.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
<---Had the Z3s (and WW kit) painted (NOT blended) and did the install personally...

Maybe black is just easier to match, but if you can see any difference in the panels then your eyes are better than mine!

;)

~CIII

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I feel for you. I was quoted $200 per fender just to paint some X-1 fenders. Plus the labor to install them. I'm getting a WW kit and he's charging $75 a piece to paint, labor extra.

I would shop around but this guy is good. and I trust him. I had him paint my tail light covers. It took a few days longer than expected then his assitant accidently marred them after they were on the car. By the time he was finished he only had me pay $30 instead of the $60 he quoted cause of the inconvience. Sometimes quality/good service costs extra.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah tru, I want the quality. I just am real lazy and dont want to put on the fenders myself. Athough there is a how to for it, taking of the hood sounds tricky. I am going to call the guy today and see what he says. thanks for all the help, i thought maybe he was just jerkin me around with this blending stuff. he said red is the hardest to paint too.

i guess if its going to save me 400 dollars or so i will put the fenders on myself. i hate this painting bs. ive been sitting on these fenders for a year and a half waiting to get them painted.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
OK......I can attest to a few things....

1) You don't have to fully remove the hood when installing the fenders, undo it and lift it.

if the shop is charging labour (4hrs) to

a) remove the hood
b) remove the front bumper (which means lights, grill, and lower splash guards)
c) remove inner fender wall
d) drill holes and fit fender correctly

it's VERY possible. Nice thing is, they break any bolts, they have to get you new ones. I broke alot when I did my own.

2) Painting the doors/blending is a good idea. But does depend on the color of your car...I went the "drop off and pick up route" and the fenders do NOT match on my spruce green. HOWEVER, since they repainted my front bumper and kit at the same time, it doesn't look bad.

Best idea, compare prices from shop to shop, ask about their fiberglassing abilities, take a fender with you and a piece of the kit so they can SEE what they have to do, and bring pics of the rest of the kit.

·
Registered
298 Posts
700 seems decint since u need to make them fit perfect and also depending on your color and how much your paint is cuz you will need to prime then wetsand and if u decide to blend either da sand or scotch brite the panel you are going to blend the paint and also if your person doing tha work perfers to use a Sealer before basecoat which i use that will cost a lil more so once u add all the material and labor involved and i actually do this work on the side and i personally would charge somewhere in the range of 450-600 so id say 700 isnt a bad price just my 2 cents tho good luck hope it all works out for ya

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the help. i dont know what im going to do yet. probably will just end up putting the fenders on myself, then have him paint them. anyways, i will let you all know what happens in the end. thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts