New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..was hoping you could help me with a "non-cougar" related car problem I've been trying to straighten out for the past week.

To give the quick story on the car....

3 weeks ago I bought a '91 Eagle Talon TSi with only 105k miles on it. I was told it needed a new clutch slave cylinder seeing as how the clutch was matted to the floor and was seeing no pressure whatsoever.

So..fast forward to last week...I replace the slave cylinder, and bleed the hydraulic clutch lines and the extent of the clutch pressure I'm getting is JUST enough for the clutch to rise up about 50% of its "normal" travel.

I figure I should probably replace the master cylinder as well so today that is what I did. Replaced the master cylinder...bled the system and still only enough pressure to make the clutch pedal rise about half of its normal travel with hardly any pressure behind it at all.

When I get up under the steering column and press the clutch in, I can see it activating the master cylinder piston.

The car starts up fine, but cannot be put into any gear. (Only when the car is off can it be put in gear)

I've posted on other forums but don't receive prompt responses like I'm used to from on here so I figured I'd ask everyone since it's a general question.

Someone on an actual Talon forum suggested that maybe it could be the throw out bearing or the clutch release fork.

What do you all think.....and sorry for the long post.

Thanks!:biggrin:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Can anyone help me with my car problem

I hope this isnt your 1st DSM. Because if it is and you bought the car knowing something was wrong with it then your in for a whirlwind adventure of visiting auto parts stores and repair shops. But as for your clutch problem i believe that guy is right about it, it could be a throw out bearing or a clutch fork. But in either case,good luck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I hope this isnt your 1st DSM. Because if it is and you bought the car knowing something was wrong with it then your in for a whirlwind adventure of visiting auto parts stores and repair shops. But as for your clutch problem i believe that guy is right about it, it could be a throw out bearing or a clutch fork. But in either case,good luck.
Oh, it is my first DSM. I bought it for $610 and it isn't my daily driver. Just something I'll be working on. Haha and yes, I've already been to the auto parts store about 10 times and I've only owned the car for about a little over two weeks.

I see you have a DSM as well from your sig. I took a video of the clutch issue I am having.

YouTube - Clutch Problem Video

Aside from the clutch issue, the motor only has 105K miles on it and I ran a compression test this weekend and it was about 150psi -152psi all across.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Yes i suffer from DSM insanity, but this is also my 1st DSM that i have only had for about 5 months now. And in this first 5 months i have had to get a new motor,turbo,o2 sensors,axles,fuel pressure sensor and solenoid,fuel pump, and a few other odds and ends. But all being said and done i wouldnt change any of it. I looked at your video of your problem and if it isnt either one of those things that guy told you then idk. Im sure a trustworthy transmission shop can find out for you (even though probably wont be cheap)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes i suffer from DSM insanity, but this is also my 1st DSM that i have only had for about 5 months now. And in this first 5 months i have had to get a new motor,turbo,o2 sensors,axles,fuel pressure sensor and solenoid,fuel pump, and a few other odds and ends. But all being said and done i wouldnt change any of it. I looked at your video of your problem and if it isnt either one of those things that guy told you then idk. Im sure a trustworthy transmission shop can find out for you (even though probably wont be cheap)
Yeah...I posted the vid on a DSM forum to see if I should try anything else. I don't really MIND dropping the tranny if I have to, but obv. it would be nice not to have to haha.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts

Clutch could be warn out. Buy a replacement clutch kit that comes with slave cyl, disc and pressure plate, and throw out bearing. first thing i would have done. If i have to tear a tranny and motor apart for any type of clutch issue i would deff recommend replacing that stuff as a whole.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Clutch could be warn out. Buy a replacement clutch kit that comes with slave cyl, disc and pressure plate, and throw out bearing. first thing i would have done. If i have to tear a tranny and motor apart for any type of clutch issue i would deff recommend replacing that stuff as a whole.
Yeah...I'm thinking I'm gonna have to pull the tranny so I think along with replacing the throw out bearing and clutch fork Ill order a new ACT clutch and fidanza flywheel. Might as well since the tranny will be out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts