New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all... So, if you haven't read any of my previous posts, my sons 99 Cougar had the idler pulley on the timing belt go out, and so we had to replace the belt, the two idlers, and the tensioner. I didn't have a good way to hold the exhaust cam, but with a hint from another post, we turned the cam with a wrench toward the front of the car and was able to get everything to stay lined up timing mark wise after 2 and 4 rotations of the crank.

So, after all of this, we went out and drove it, and it ran fine. The next day he drove it, and it lost power and seemed to be surging. So he came home and we checked the codes. One was the camshaft sensor P0340 camshaft sensor failure. The other was the P1381 CVT code. I went ahead and replaced the cam sensor, and later that day it throw that code again even after clearing them. What I don't understand is that we never had that code before, and we didn't mess with either the sensor or the wiring when we had it apart. I really think if we could get that issue fixed, it would probably run OK, and maybe fox the P1381 code too since it doesn't seem to know what the cam is doing. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would get some electronic cleaner for the connectors and see if oil might have gone in it. It did that to me
Thanks. I did check the connector and it was clean as could be. I finally broke down and bought the 15/16 wrench I needed to hold the cam, and the reverse torx for the bolt in the VCT. We put turned everything back to where it was in time at (still looked fine) and then broke the bolt loose for the exhaust cam. It jump a little, so we turned it back to it's mark, tightened the bolt, and now things seem to be a lot better. I can't believe that just having the belt off and gettings things lined up wouldn't have done the same thing, but I guess we will see. I never did take the bolt loose for the intake cam at all though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts