New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got lowered with the H&R's that give me 1.5" in the front and 1.4" in the rear. The question came up about a caster/camber kit. Slade said it's not necessary especially since the car is older. My tireman at work strongly suggests getting a kit due to the quickness of tire wear I'll be having. Is it a good idea to get one or is it not necessary?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,977 Posts
No. That's not much of a drop.

I don't have abnormal tire wear on my Roush setup. You'd need bags or GC's before I would go to a camber kit.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have had GC for ..... three years now. I am rolling at 1/2 drop .. so thats approximately 2" lower than stock.

I noticed some tire wear on the inside of the tires so my car was riding like / \ (tires on car)... I got it aligned and now its butter.

Its kind of crude but just by looking at how the dirt sticks to the tires I know I am getting a full contact patch from side wall to sidewall on my Kuhmos. Tire inflation is also important. I didn tknow I could inflate my Kuhmos safely to 38-41 psi. I think the max is 42 or 45 psi.

I also must have 30-40,000 miles on my kuhmos and they still have tread.

Dont waste your money or your time on a camber kit. More than likely it will more of a hastle then a benifit.

Tony

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's all I needed to hear. I didn't want to doubt Slade, but my tireman was scaring me saying I'll have to buy 2 sets of tires every year. Then with 2 sets of rims I'd have to buy 4sets of tires! That's why I started freaking out.

edit: Tony have mad fun in Vegas!

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
I remember Caterina once posted that he had an alignment done with his bags on and his camber/caster settings were well within spec.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,977 Posts
It is really all about proper inflation. Feel the face of the tire after several miles of freeway driving. As long as the shoulders are hot, you don't have enough air in them. When the entire road surface of the tire is of equal temperature, you got it right. For me, that's about 38-40 front and 34-36 rear.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
did your tireman do your alignment? You should if you haven't already, get an alignment. The drop will cause your wheels not to be aligned properly, but not so much so that the factory components can't be adjusted to compensate. If he did attempt an alignment, but couldn't get it right, then something else is wrong if he can't get them to align properly.

·
Registered
586 Posts
my drop was 1.5 1.8, i know im not a cougar, but i would reccomend one, i was also told i didnt need one, SO its really a personal choice to have them, i got them to be on the safe side

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
If you buy KMW or airbagit bags they have a camber kit built in. Mine were within spec and I have been running bags for 2 years without uneven tire wear. I do alignments in my car atleast once a month just cuz its free and I can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.