New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the problem at hand...

My headlights are going to Umnitza on Friday for the test fitment of the new "Demon Eyes" See post in General Info if you have no idea what i'm talking about.

Here is what I need to be done..

I don't want to have a ghetto switch in my car... I would like to make the demon eyes so that if I turn on my parking lights they turn on.... (so IIRC that is just one small turn on the headlight knob...)

How do I go about doing this... all help is appreciated...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Wire it to the switch, figure out which wire is the marker light(parking light) wire
and tap it. and there you go.
or of course just have them tapped into the actuall wiring in the light housing...

·
Registered
388 Posts
"or of course just have them tapped into the actuall wiring in the light housing"

that would be the best way, I have had LED's and neons ran that way. Haven't had a single problem yet.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I know that on the actual switch the red wire with a blue stripe is the power for the headlights.....

Ben something to also think about....I had some LED's in my old car that were controlled the same way you're talkin....The only thing I did was strip the wire that went to parking bulb that was power, as opposed to running it into the inside of the car....On the Cougar it may be harder to find...I haven't tried lookin for it.... and just ground the other wire.....thats a pretty easy thing to do and you won't have to worry about runnin wires all through the engine area......

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey.... if you have done it before you want to help me install it?? You get to see the Daylight Demon Eyes before anyone else :)

Also i have some guages to install.. but if u get a pillar pod we can mold it at the same time... PM me.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
If you're using LEDs, and you limit the power going to them, you can use the dimmer switch on your dash, that way you can control the vibrancy. Otherwise, IIRC, the top blue-black line is a powered line (12v) on the headlight switch.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
all a dimmer is is a variable resistor.. therefore changing the voltage across whatever you have hooked up
some light sources don't get brighter at higher voltages they simply just turn on
i thought that's how LED's were.. either on or off and there is just a range of voltages they turn on at
anyway.. when hooking this up i'd make sure to fuse it so you don't short out another wire in the process
i think what i'd do is just hook it to whatever fuse the lights are on in the fuse panel.. that way you're protected
if you want to change the intensity of the light then use resistors.. but i don't think you'd want to be able to change it once it's at the right intensity unless you're tryin to score some show points or somethin *shrug*

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
yea, the variable resistor is called a Potentiometer, lil knob type thing tha turn to adjust how bright the light is or isnt, i work them all the time in electronics class at highschool

·
Registered
674 Posts
um, if you really wanna take the trouble of running the wire through the firewall.......sure. What I would do is just connect it directly to the parking lamp wires on the harness that you plug your headlight into. Both wires have power IIRC and one is the "blinker" so you could get them to blink if you wanted. I'll run out and check tomorrow which blinks and which has power all the time. It's definetly the easiest. I'll grab some pictures while I'm at it tomorrow.

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
hey if you want your fog lights on when you do this wire it to them, if not wire it to the parking light on the light housing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts