New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched high and low, test tons of products, and can not find what I am looking for.

Does anyone know where I can find a good clearcoat in spray form that gleams like a cars paint?? I have gotten everything, read every install tip, I have applied light and have applied heavy, and nothing seem to be very good.

Advice??

·
Registered
884 Posts
Try engine enamal clear coat, by duplicolor.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
You need to actually do work to get it to gleam. Even Automotive clear coat isn't usually perfect right after paint. It needs to be wetsanded, then use some fine rubbing compound on it to finish it off..

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
you need to sand the snot outta your stock calipers... use a good degreaser... wash with hot water.. lightly sand again then use DUPLICOLOR METALCAST... it will be shiny as hell plus no need to use clearcoat..

you can also use the 2 part epoxy systems for Calipers.... I think the kit runs like 50 bucks... PM Estiem, he used it on his WRX and it looks great.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 things... my kicker speaker grills and amp covers...

and I already had the NiteShaded the tails professionally cleared but i didn't do the third brake light... i can niteshade fine but i realy want nice clear!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welll on the kicker grills and amp covers i ordered some expensive Epoxy Based Chrome Paint... but i have been told on some of these chrome paints not to clear coat it...

I just really want to know what is the best clear out there..

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
if you clear chrome.. it WILL turn grey... 100% guarenteed... Chrome paint also rubs off - if you REALLY want chrome take it somewhere to get professionally chrome plated..

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have always found that when clearcoating, using the same clearcoat made by the company that makes the paint you choose works best. For example, when I buy paintscratch paint, I buy their clear as well. one time I painted something with paintscratch and used some clearcoat from the store and it didn't look as good. could just be b/s, but those are my findings.
I usually wait a good two days after I've painted the color before doing the clear.
When clearing, I wait about 10-15 minutes in between coats, and usually end up doing about 3-4 coats, then let it dry for another 2 days.

·
Registered
815 Posts
After you paint the base coat (color) add 2-3 layers of clear down. After the paint has dried, wetsand the piece you are painting with 1000 grit. If it is a flat surface use a sanding block for best results. Then, buff the piece until all sand scratches are removed and its nice and shiny. Just be carefull to not burn through the clear coat. If you do go through the clear, wetsand everything back down with 600-800 grit and re-paint the whole thing. (you can tell because when you are wetsanding the clear will come away white, and if you notice the color you painted sanding away you went to far.)

hope that helps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts