New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I made some of these for myself because i did not want to spend NPG prices.
After having a bit of interest shown on the facebook groups i decided to offer them for purchase.

Keep in mind, i am making these by hand.

Kits i have available:
300mm Front (SVTF front rotor)
300mm Rear (SVTF front rotor)
278mm Rear (Stock SVTC or sport? cougar front rotor)

Kits are $100 shipped each in the states

Kits will come with all hardware, unpainted.

Rear kits will require some work for fitment by the purchaser, the rear caliper bracket needs widened on the inside because the front rotors are wider than a stock rear rotor, Also, new brake pads will need shaved down as everything will be too thick for the caliper to fit around.

I might have the wrong imgur links but i will fix after post is approved.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
hmmm.. how long are you gonna make these for? i have upgraded to wilwoods this year, and bunch of other mods, so im done spending money on it this winter. but if you dont make many i might as well grab a set

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm.. how long are you gonna make these for? i have upgraded to wilwoods this year, and bunch of other mods, so im done spending money on it this winter. but if you dont make many i might as well grab a set
Not sure yet how long ill mess around making them, so if you want a set probably better to get them.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
im gonna have to hold off for now til a race or 2, see how the brake bias is

·
Registered
221 Posts
I started to put a set of 300 focus SVT rotors on the rear about 5 months ago, but have not had time to make the brackets, am I reading this correctly, you have made the brackets to bolt the stock calipers and then fit the 300's under them? ( I under stand the fact that they are wider). When i installed these in the front, I pulled the Front calipers and brackets from a Mazda 6. Will i need those again?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started to put a set of 300 focus SVT rotors on the rear about 5 months ago, but have not had time to make the brackets, am I reading this correctly, you have made the brackets to bolt the stock calipers and then fit the 300's under them? ( I under stand the fact that they are wider). When i installed these in the front, I pulled the Front calipers and brackets from a Mazda 6. Will i need those again?
Yes my brackets retain the stock caliper and bracket to fit 278 or 300mm rotors, when you use these in the rear you either have to shave down new brake pads, use old pads, or some have even had rotors turned down.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would take a set just for the rear-but I am in no hurry, if they are made already, PM me with your pay pal info and I will send you some money.
Otherwise let me know when you get a set ready.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would take a set just for the rear-but I am in no hurry, if they are made already, PM me with your pay pal info and I will send you some money.
Otherwise let me know when you get a set ready.
Dont have any extra sets of 300mm rears at the moment, but i should next week.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will send you a PM.

I've actually updated my rear brackets, they are now tapped and reused oem hardware on one side.
Ill update the post and pictures soon incase there is more interest.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure on weight, i dont have a scale that will weigh stuff that low.
If i had to guess around 1lb per side.

·
Administrator
24,438 Posts
Anything besides a stock caliper will cause parking brake problems though, and many people need a parking brake to pass safety inspection. I'd surmise that any caliper that was large enough to hit the whole rotor AND had a parking brake assembly in it would probably require some serious modifications elsewhere in cable length, mounting points, etc.

I believe I've seen someone adapt front calipers to the rear hubs, so the option is there if you don't want a parking brake.

But honestly I've never had any brake balance issues using the OEM rear calipers on the 278's, so anything more would just be for cosmetic purposes.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
well ive done a seasn of raving and i need more rear braking. i have 13" front rotors with wilwood calipers and i lock up front breaks pretty easy. anyone recommmend going for the 278mm rear or just go for the focus svt rear rotors?

·
Administrator
24,438 Posts
SVT Focus rear rotors aren't vented; they are so thin that the pads can fall out when used with Cougar calipers. Unless you are talking about SVT Focus front rotors on the rear.

My car has 278's on the rear.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
well im pretty sure his kit is for focus front rotors on rear. i need more rear braking

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Correct, My rear kits allow the use of either stock svtc front rotors on the rear (278mm) or stock svtf front rotors on the rear (300mm)
Both rear kits require modification to the caliper bracket, along with running old pads, getting new pads shaved down, or having the rotors turned down. New rotor + new pads are too thick to fit in the stock caliper.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
how much shaving?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts