New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
C8 Corvettes are all over the news feed this summer, and I have a colleague who is very enthusiastic about them, but he and I appreciate cars in very different ways. Even though we admire many of the same cars, he just doesnt look at them from the same perspective that I do.

What are your thoughts about the C8?

I'm still trying to decide, and the jury is certainly still out until I see one IRL, but I'm leaning towards a thumbs down based on styling. Ive been very cool to undecided on the C7's as well but hadnt really been able to put my finger on a reason until I really thought about it today. To me, a Corvette should have a distinctly sexy, curvy, feminine appearance that looks like sex on wheels. From the moment they put the indents in the C1's, through the fastback C2's, the Dolly Parton-esque C3's, the understated but still distinctly curvy C4's, and the practically perfect C5's and C6's, they always felt like the mechanical equivalent of a beautiful woman.
I feel like the C7's threw that sexiness out the window in favor of sharp angles and razor edges, almost emullating the Lamborghini legacy more than the Corvette's, and the C8 seems to be doubling down on that concept with sharp edges everywhere they could justify putting them, including the cockpit. If the C3 is the mechanical equivalent of Dolly Parton, the C8 is more like one of those ultra-skinny straight-line shaped high fashion models that are all protruding hip bones and jaw lines.

Dont get me wrong, I certainly wouldnt kick one out of the driveway, but back in the C5 and C6 days, If I had the money I wouldnt have even shopped around, I would have just bought one. Now, If I were in the market for a car like that, I'm not sure if thats what I would choose or not...No doubt its an amazing performance machine at a great price, but its just missing the Corvette magic to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My brother works at M1 Concourse, so I've been around quite a few even before the official release. The running joke is that it's the "Fiero 2"

A Corvette has always been an American take on the Classic European sports cars, sleek lines with long hood over a front engine with good performance RWD. The C7 lost it's class, and the C8 has lost everything else. It isn't even available with a manual transmission anymore. I've never been a big Corvette fan as they're far too common, but at least I could respect them for what they were.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My brother works at M1 Concourse, so I've been around quite a few even before the official release. The running joke is that it's the "Fiero 2"
Thats funny, I made a similar comment in the office about it looking more like a Fiero than a Corvette, and about Chevy digging out leftover parts from the Fiero bins and repurposing them. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Especially the side windows.

To be fair, If they had called it Fiero 2, it would be a seriously badass Fiero.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts