New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I want to go with the Kumoh ECTASY tires. However obviously they don't come in our sizes, and even if they did i would still want more. I want to go with 225 for the added width. Now for the profile, what should I do. Should I stick with 50 or go 45 or 55. If anything I would want more acceleration and less top speed (i know tire size has to do with this).... and secondly i would want the tire to tuck even better in the wheel well...

from what I found Kumoh has the following sizes avaiable that i'm interested in

225/45/16
225/50/16
225/55/16

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
if you want better acceleration, stick with 50 or maybe even go 55. I've even heard from a few people that larger aspect ratio has a more comfortable ride.
imo, I wanna get 45s only b/c I like the low-profile look.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Don't go any higher than 50. JoemamaTypeR has 225/50/16 Potenzas, and it's noticeably taller than the stock tire. 55 would look very offroadish. I'd say 45, 50 being the tallest.

G

·
I have 225x55x16 Michelin Pilots on my '99 ....I don't think they look "Offroadish".....

They definately appear bigger and the ride is great......I don't know about the acceleration differences from 50's......speedo is out about 5%.....handleing is much better than stock....likely due to Tire brand and 225 sizing....and not 55's over 50's.......

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay i think i'm gonna go with the 45s.... i though about it and talked with a few others and i guess i was kinda dumb thinking i could get more acceleration with different sizes... my car is mostly about looks anyhow so i guess a lower profile would look nicer.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The lower the sidewall-the faster the acceleration. But, with the lower profile-you won't tuck as much. I say go with the 45's.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I got 225/50/16s, and if I got to do it all over again, I might have gone with the 45 series. 50s fit the wells nicely, but do look noticeably taller, and make the wheels look smaller.

(Of course, your Visteon kit will thank you if you go with the taller profile)

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
screw the front air dam... already went through 3 of them and when and if visteon comes out with that super sale, your damn skippy i'm pulling my cougar up to the plant, and loading it with a few more

G

·
I would be careful going too much larger or smaller than the stock outside diameter. If your car is equipped with abs it won't work when you probably need it most.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I have 225/50 tires, and what you're looking to do may not be a good idea.

First, Kumho 225/45 may not fit at all on a 6.5" stock rim. According to Kumho, this tire requires a rim width between 7.0 and 8.5 inches, while the 225/50 requires a rim from 6.0 to 8.0 inches wide.

Realistically, any 225mm tire is a bit too wide for a stock rim. 50-series and up will fit because there is enough sidewall for the excess rubber to get drawn inward where the tire meets the rim. Unfortunately, this is not good for handling because the tread will squirm very easily and the tires will ride on their sidewalls around sharp turns.

As someone who has 225mm tires on his stock rims, I'd say your best bet is to go down to 205/50. My 225's look "squished" on my stock rims.

See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Kumho&model=ECSTA+Supra+712

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.