New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm about to purchase a 99 Cougar from the East coast. Since I live in the "enhanced area" of San Diego for Smog check (don't know what enhanced area means), I wonder if all the 99 or later Cougars were designed to meet "California certified" qualifications ? Will I be able to register a 99 Cougar bought from out of CA ?
Thanks for your advice !!

Here is the information I found on http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf
"To find out whether a car or truck
is California certified, check the
emission control label under the hood
in the engine compartment. If the
vehicle is "California certified," this
label will state that the vehicle conforms
to California regulations or that
it is legal for sale in California. If a
vehicle is "federally certified," the
label will state that the vehicle
conforms to U.S. EPA regulations, but
no mention will be made of meeting
California requirements."

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think every cougar is CA certified, though Im not positive. Ford is usualy good with emissions so I dought there will be a problem, but dont quote me on it. Someone else will have to tell you for sure.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
if you are buying an out of state car, it will have to meet the emission standards where the car was originially sold. CA emission only applies to cars sold as new in the State. Interstate Commerce Law prohibits free flow of goods between States so CA cannot deny registration to cars not originally sold here. All you have to do is to make sure the car you are buying can meet the emission standards of the State where it was originally sold.

However, cars sold in NY and MA also meets CA emission standards. Some cars sold in "boarder states" ie. AZ, OR, NV, PA, CT, NJ, VT ME may also meet CA emission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, Thanks all for your advice.
I found it better to give priority for Cougar in CA first, than buying an out of state car, though, I'm still looking for a good deal somewhere :banana:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts