New Cougar Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
24,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A better look at the stance - taken before it was washed.

·
Administrator
24,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It never gets old.

The Michelins are STICKY. OVR is supposedly having an end-of-season fun autocross session, and I'm really tempted to drag it out for a romp. The Cooper S has some garbage all-season tires on it, so it wouldn't be much fun.

·
Administrator
24,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ordered a set of Ford Racing axle-backs today. Big sale at Jeg's. Free shipping.

Some say the Bullitt exhaust is sacred. It is indeed very nice. I'm keeping the original Bullitt axle-backs around (like I do with all the stock parts), just in case I don't like the changes. No cutting or modifying is involved - it's a simple bolt-on affair, so there's not really any risk in it.

The FR500S axle backs are Ford Racing parts, used originally on the GT500 KR. I've seen many video clips of these on Bullitts, and the noise is pretty amazing. I think they make the car sound more like a GT390 than the original exhaust does, for that matter. They will probably arrive tomorrow, and I'll get them installed on Saturday. We'll see if I can get some video.

·
Administrator
24,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
...aaaaand they're on back-order. Hopefully they arrive before winter, so I have some time to enjoy the noise.

·
Administrator
24,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Axle-backs arrived today. Installed in about 30 minutes.

It's loud.

I think they need to soot up a little, they sound kinda tinny right now, but it gets better the more I drive it.

Will get some GoPro footage soon...

·
Administrator
24,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ta-dah! We’re not done yet!

Today’s project was installing a Blowfish Racing shifter bracket on the horrible Tremec transmission.

Ford’s shifter design for the S197 is downright laughable. Where most transmissions have a shifter directly in the tail of the transmission, this one doesn’t. The shifter is rod-activated, and mounted in 2 spots: one end on the transmission itself, and the other end bolted to the floor of the car. As you can imagine, under heavy load, when the drivetrain shifts under torque, the shifter mount gets tweaked and you start missing gears. It’s embarrassing and dangerous.

The Blowfish bracket bolts onto the tail of the transmission and allows you to take the mount off the floor and bolt it onto the transmission, as God intended. So now the entire shifter assembly is bolted onto the trans, so it’s always in line with the drivetrain, no more BS.

IT’S GLORIOUS. Almost makes this ridiculous transmission livable.

·
Administrator
24,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
OK, super quick-and-dirty vertical shaky-cam of the Shelby axle-backs. Quick 1-2 pull with a tiny bit of 3; public streets and all.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts