New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 years with little to no modifications - it's time.

63,000 miles now, and one of the rear shocks is completely toast. It knocks around back there something awful, so I decided to just do it all.

Today I ordered a Ford Racing package with Performance Pack shocks and struts, and Ford Racing K springs with GT500 front strut mounts. This will get me a little lower, a little stiffer, and a lot less noisy.

Mods so far -

Steeda rear sway bar
Steeda chromoly rear LCAs
Steeda underdrive pulleys
K&N filter in the Bullitt Ford Racing CAI
Astra Hammond front splitter
Smoked rear corner lenses
Clear/Black front turn signals
Sequential turn signals/brake lights
Short antenna
Shelby dead pedal
Roush shifter
Production number vinyl decal

Jeez I guess that is kind of more stuff than I thought.

Still got all the original Bullitt stuff sitting around the garage. Because limited production Ford performance pedigree and all that.

Anyways it all gets delivered this Friday. More pics to come.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Love your Bullitt, the new stance is going to be great.

Side note: I really wish Ford did a new Bullitt before they did the front end update on the new Mustangs. I would have for sure picked up a lightly used 2017 Bullitt if they made it, not so sure on the 2019 when it becomes available....

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the 2019 facelift is better than the previous style, but it's still not quite a home run for me. Pricing was just leaked yesterday - the Bullitt starts at $47,495 including destination. Recaros and MagneRide will most likely get you over 50K. Probably worth it.

I bought some quarter louvers, but I haven't had any opportunity to get them into paint. Someday those will go in.

Now I have to buy tires, too. And get an alignment. This gets expensive fast...

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Took about 2 hours to do all 4 corners. Ride improvement is UNBELIEVABLE. It took all the dive and squat out of the ride, and really flattened out the cornering. Left the front camber quite negative, since these tires are done and are getting replaced in a week or two.

Totally new car.

The clatter in the rear was actually the big billet sway bar link; the poly bushing in it is sloppy. I greased it, and it's better, but still a little noisy. So add one more thing to the list.

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, IT'S TIRE TIME.

OEM tires are 235, but it has 245's on it now, and can easily hold a 255.

It's come down to these choices (hopefully the links work):

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (245/45R-18)

Kumho Ecsta LE Sport (255/45R-18)

Continental Sport Contact 2 (245/45R-18)

All are 280 treadwear, but the Kumhos are wider - availability is weird between widths, so some are only available in 245, and some in 255.

I don't have a clue which would be better; I'm entertaining opinions from the forum. Street driven, 3 seasons-ish, MAAAAYBE an autocross or two from time to time if the Roush is broke.

What would NECO do?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Big fan of Conti's personally, but I put a lot of faith in ratings and reviews on Tirerack, Sears, or Walmart websites.

·
Administrator
15,483 Posts
Looking great; I love that splitter.

I almost forget that you have this car sometimes.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I can't comment on the tires you listed, but for a little more money you can get the new version of the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which are the Pilot Sport 4S. I'm a big fan of the MPSS on my BMW. Also, I'm really glad I went as wide as possible square setup as well, as long as you have wide enough wheels to support it. I went from a factory 225 to a 255 width. Not sure on the width of your wheels and if you need to do anything else to fit it, but I know I have seen mustangs with some wide rubber in front.

·
Super Moderator
22,167 Posts
of those 3 i would take the bridgstone. with that car youve got to look at the wet/damp performance and i dont think its there with the other 2 based on the tread design. i normally lean toward kuhmos for street tires, just not that model

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking great; I love that splitter.

I almost forget that you have this car sometimes.
I really dig the splitter, too; nobody has that one. It's listed on Amazon for a Dodge Charger or something; they have the listing all wrong. I searched by part number to find it; I don't even remember how I found it in the first place. But it's got a real 69-70 Mach 1 vibe to it.

Dan - the Pilot Super Sport/4S are not offered in either of the sizes I'm shopping for :(

I have had those Kumhos on my Cougar in the past; they are nice and sticky. But you make a very good point - that car is terrifying in the wet, but it did do very well on the Bridgestones it has now (back when they had tread).

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big fan of Conti's personally, but I put a lot of faith in ratings and reviews on Tirerack, Sears, or Walmart websites.
I have Conti DWS all-seasons on the Focus ST's winter wheels, and they are indeed very good tires. Bought them on the recommendation of the tech at Discount Tire.

Good call on the Tire Rack reviews; I'm going to check those out now.

Also I just noticed that the Kumhos are out of stock, so it's down to TWO...

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, Tire Rack has a lot of good things to say about those Bridgestones - so that's probably gonna be it.

Hopefully I can stop by Discount Tire after work and get an order in.

Thanks for the helpful discussion and recommendations!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Tirerack show that the Michelin PS4S is available in both 255/45/18 and 245/45/18. Discount tire should be able to order it, even if they don't show it on their website.

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tirerack show that the Michelin PS4S is available in both 255/45/18 and 245/45/18. Discount tire should be able to order it, even if they don't show it on their website.
Interesting... wonder why they don't list it. I will ask about that when I drop in to order tires.

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dan is the winner - they were able to get an order in for the Michelins in 255/45. After looking the reviews and videos over on Tire Rack (thanks, Scott), it appears that the Michelins are pretty much the benchmark for summer performance tires, and should last a long time.

I priced out the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, the Continental ExtremeContact Sport, and the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, and the total installed price for all of them were within about 25 bucks of one another.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Can't wait to hear your input on them. While I'm happy with my MPSS I can't wait until they wear out so I can see the improvements they have made with the PS4S. Unfortunately for me that probably won't be until 2019 or 2020 as I still have a decent amount of tread left. The one down side to have dedicated summer and winter tires.

·
5,265 Posts
I've been stuck on Michelins for the last three sets I've purchased - even though not performance tires, the reviews and test results (TireRack.com, and ConsumerReports.org) keep me coming back. I'm sure you'll be satisfied with those.

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probably having them mounted up on Monday or Tuesday. We shall see!

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Cars N Coffee today on its new chunky Michelins and new stance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts