New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get plans or software to build me a subwoofer enclosure?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
just build one, there are no plans or magic little programs to do it. you first figure how much airspace you need (according to specs), then make a box that has that much space inside. its not real tough.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
There's a bit more to it than that.

You have to take into account basket displacement, strange angles for the Cougar, not to mention if you're doing ported then you need info on port length, diameter, and type. Its a very exact science to create a "perfect" box. I've been doing this for over 10 yrs now and I just threw another box away I did, because it didn't sound "just right". There is software out there, but there is nothing like sitting next to the box and listening for port noise, baffle, or reverb. It takes a well-tuned ear to build a good box...

E1

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Originally posted by: EternalOne
There's a bit more to it than that.

You have to take into account basket displacement, strange angles for the Cougar, not to mention if you're doing ported then you need info on port length, diameter, and type. Its a very exact science to create a "perfect" box. I've been doing this for over 10 yrs now and I just threw another box away I did, because it didn't sound "just right". There is software out there, but there is nothing like sitting next to the box and listening for port noise, baffle, or reverb. It takes a well-tuned ear to build a good box...

E1

Amen to that-

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
true, unless its just a plain and simple box, even if it is ported.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll explain how I want my box - and how difficult I think it would be to make.

When the back seats are folded down, I want the monster magnets of my Audiobahn 1205's to be visible. And, from the back of the car with the hatch open, I want the front's visible, thru plexiglass. So, essentially, this would be a band-pass box, right? I know that this isn't probably gonna be an easy box to fabricate, but hopefully its do-able!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
That wouldnt be hard at all. Just make sure you use at least 1" plexi for the front and back, and 3/4MDF for all other sides. Depending on what type of power you plan to push, you may want to think about thicker plexi also.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
When doing plexi, do not go the cheap route. Its much more expensive, but use at least 1" bulletproof plexi, otherwise you'll get flexing and the box will sound like ass. If I had it to do again, I would skip large plexi areas and use much smaller pieces, and thicker than 1" -- only because even a 1'x1'x1" piece of plexi will flex under extreme pressures (like those found inside of a sealed enclosure).

true, unless its just a plain and simple box, even if it is ported.
There is no such thing as a plain and simple ported box. There is such a thing as a plain ****ty ported box, however. Ports are an exact science, driven by 4 speaker variables. Never use PVC for ports, that is a sure sign of a crappy box. Never use round ports (causes distortion in the lower freqs). Always tune your ports over and over and over, so make sure you can remove them until you get it right.

Best bet is to get information from the speaker manufacturer on port diameter, length, and type as well as box airspace requirements. A simple box is not hard to build, a good one is.

E1

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
heres how the back part of my box is. its plexiglass with the JL symbol cut out in some MDF.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts