New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard would it be to build a wall for 4 12s behind the back seats so that when you fold them down you see 4 ports and a big 2400 watt monoblock amp in the middle?

The box would probably be like a big wedge box, so that all four subs can be seen from the outside of the car, looking down into the hatch.

I would really like to do something like what Caterina has. How hard is it to do what he has? Can you port something like that?

SO many questions

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarBalla2k5

I would really like to do something like what Caterina has.

SO many questions
lol i was thinking of him when i read the title of the thread. U might just wanna send him a PM that way. thats what i would do

EDIT: bassboy on here ( i think thats his name. ) he has done this also

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
How difficult? -not at all if you have minimal skills in bracing and fitting the sub enclosure. The hard part is measurements to fit exactly so everything doesnt rattle.
You can port any box. The different types are round, rectangular, and slot. Try different types, they do make a huge difference in lenght, depth, and if the opening is curved or a flat edge.
Many of the older comp vehicles have similar setups, look around for later issues of auto sound magazines and you will find hundreds of wall applications. Todays designs are getting to be all free flowing fiberglass type enclosures. My old school knowlede of enclosures doesnt mean **** to anyone wanting a new fiberglass type.
And after seeing what you and your father already built, it shouldnt be and problem with the enclosure. Just tuning the port will be a challenge to get it to sound its best.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lukky, do you know where I can find a port length calculator? I know of a cylinder port calculator but I don't know how to calculate tuning using a slot port. The box we built is a Kicker spec box slightly modified.

EDIT - it doesn't have to be fiberglass, as long as it looks good. How about a false floor just at the top of the seats.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have trial and error ways of doing everything. When im working with slot ports, I start out 1 inch from the back of the enclosure, then adjust the lenght and width untill I think it sounds about right. I would say I destroy 4 enclosures to build 1 finished one from all the trail and hell of a lot error issues. Thats the only way to learn how to customize enclosures. Its really getting down to opinion of what sounds good. There was a how-to on sounddomain.com that someone made up about tuning slot ports and width measurements. Check it out, its been a few months so hopefully its in the archives.

·
Registered
378 Posts
This sounds more like a fitted box more so then a wall. Below is a WALL from a car i did awhile back.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh I know what a wall is, this is morea mini-wall. Short enough to not cover the window so I won't need a rear view camera.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That kicker setup is impressive. Clean and evenly constructed. Each sub must have a 1 cu.ft airspace, I bet its more of a tight-punchy kind of bass response.
No ports, just headaches! Thats all I need, to lose 10% more of my hearing. Id be happy with one row of subs in my headroom.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I don't remember, I found it on sounddomain one day. There was one of those member pages that just had pictures of all sub setups.

Mike

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide

Mike
If I didn't need to have a back seat, I'd definately have something similar to this in the Coug. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts