New Cougar Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nobody has any information on the different combustion chamber designs and where the heads may have come from? I have found out that the cylinder head gaskets are the same for all years, so that's a good thing. I would just like to understand why the cylinder heads have such a different combustion chamber.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This is sort of what the combustion chamber looks like, but without the direct injection nozzle port. Any clues?

Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
There just havent been a lot of 2.5l rebuilds...you might have better luck on the contour forum?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ooohhh man, I just figured it out. Sneaky sneaky buildup of this motor when new. Very much against the rules and it explains why the heads actually have a hand carved in serial number. LOL, that Mirko must have had an inside line in to Ford EEE for development parts as those heads weren't ever released until a number of years later, with changes and not even on a Ford. This is the combustion chamber design, but using traditional SVT valvetrain. These are one offs for sure and explain the funky custom piston tops and bigger valves and different cams and the higher power.

Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well that's a bit of a sur-prise. :(

Box up the trophies, hang your head in shame and plead complete ignorance? :flushed:

I looked at a Jaguar flavored head (just go to eBay): no ridge between the valves best as I see. What you have there is either pretty trick or maybe seriously re-worked (welded up and shaped). When you look at it quick besides the ridges, it just looks like someone decked a shipload off the head... I'd be curious to know what the actual head height (gasket surface to the valve cover surface) is compared to a 'stocker'.

Tres cool nonetheless! (and btw your secret is safe with us I believe I can say. Quick! Delete post! Delete post!) :rofl:
Actually, the heads I have are slightly different than the picture I showed as they are at the race engine builder getting redone, as I type this. The main differences are that the ridge between the Intake Valves and the Exhaust valves isn't there any longer and the valves are larger than 3.0l heads. What I believe they are is 3.0L Jaguar Pre-production heads that bolt straight on a 2.5l block. They have a siamesed intake runner, just a big oval and not the open double round of the 3.0l Taurus head. As well, unlike the production Jag head, these use a standard SVT Cam and rocker arrangement. The Part number has been hand engraved into the flat area of the head, in the normal position, and has an "X" as the first letter. I think these were a pre-production test head that somehow made its way out of the Ford EEE Engineering facility and ended up at Mirko.

Were they legal? I can't say, but they must flow more as the power curves between the 2 motors are very different with the Mumm Bros motor making peak power over 1,000 rpm lower and the torque curve a lot broader. The previous owner of my car says that the engine note of the Mirko motor sounded a lot more like a Superbike. I can't wait.

Eric

21 - 30 of 30 Posts