New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well in the past 8 months i have been mister super busy.... if it wasn't someone else's car in my garage (neon suspension, talon engine swap and more) it was my winter beater getting a full suspension job... then came the job that took me away from home most of the week, leaving me with only weekends which are getting increasingly hard to jugle time to spend with my wife, friends and my car....

well i have been trying to squeeze an hour here an hour there just to work out all the last bugs....

this past weekend i'm VERY confident they are all gone now.... filler pipe no longer leaks... idle issues are all gone.... it ramps up through the rpm range much smoother now and well all around driveability is much better.....

this weekend i'm going to "finally" get my car e-tested which means i can get the stickers for the plates and drive it around freely without needing someone to tail me to avoid cops noticing the non-updated plates....

i have learnt, far too much, so if you have a problem which fits any of the following categories let me know:

idle issues - 24lbs are too big, go with 19lbs unless you boost it
fuel filler pipe - i now know everything about it, and why mine leaked
no start - this one took me 3 damn months to solve... turned out to be a faulty wiring harness... funny thing is sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't... and every wire tested fine on continuity.... it ended up being one of the actual plugs... once you pluged it in together "somtimes" it would pull back and not make contact... only good thing about this is that i bought an svt ecu trying to solve it and will actually use that ecu on my car later on
injector harness - even after getting another harness, this one didn't have the clips to lock them into the injectors... well i ended up with 1 or more injectors not firing each time, well i figured out how to get a clipless injector harness to clip... mind you i may have problems taking it apart
pats - i think i know every wire and pinout to properly diagnose a pats issue
remote start on mtx - all you need is a paperclip.... HOWEVER i highly recommend against doing it
eclipse fuel door - not really engine related but i've got a trick way of doing this, keeping it removeable and using the entire door and cup (no stock fuel door parts at all)... looks cleaner this way
wiring harness - show me a picture of any plug and i can tell you what it's for (maybe even it's pinout too)

i have litterally unwired and re-wired the engine bay fuse box, removed and reinstalled the harness in the engine bay 4 times (i can do it in less than 1 hour now)... now mind you my car has been running since this summer, but that's also when my on the road job started, and i could not get the emissions test until after the filler pipe was fixed (gas cap test failure)... and well since i'm barely home, i never had time to get around to fixing it... that and some idle/driveability issues i was having (see injector harness above)... so anyhow car is all good now with the few hours here and there i have been putting in

after emissions comes phase 2... tweecer, svt ecu, and naws... after that i'm done with this engine (unless thoses cams get produced) :)

ps. no 1000 mile drives to atlanta until at least 10K get put on this car.....

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Congrates bud! Glad you stuck with it, electrical problems scare the pants off me and I start to doubt my abilities real quick!! Glad you were able to overcome!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dammit Puck, spend sometime with the wife now so when I need my engine swap you can help me. LOL. Either that or make her your helper that way you two can still spend quality time together. ;) Damn, you seem to have the cougar pretty much down to a science. Good job. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts