New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys me AGAIN. A week ago i found my front left tie rod detached when i replaced my oil. I popped it back in by hand, i figured it wouldnt hold, but it was worth a shot. Do you know where i could find a replacement and how difficult it would be to replace myself? Thanks. I have an image down below of where it’s disconnected

Attachments

·
8,492 Posts
Rock Auto? Auto parts stores?

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
That's not a tie rod, it's a sway bar link. You can get those anywhere.

You could not drive a car with a broken tie rod.

EDIT -

As far as replacement goes, they can be frustrating. it's only 2 bolts, but they are often really tight and/or rusty. And the studs like to turn all the way through instead of holding still, so you have to hold them somehow. Some have flats that you can get a wrench on, found on the back side behind the mounting points, and they are super tight to get a wrench in there and you have to work blind. Others have a hex in the end of the stud that you use an Allen key to hold, like the top of the strut has. Regardless, since you're replacing them anyway, don't be afraid to get medieval on them and get out the hacksaw if you must.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Yes, those should be easy to find. Same as Contour and IIRC, same as Focus as well. Its a common part.

·
Administrator
15,431 Posts
I'm all about teachable moments and helping people to work on their own cars, but I think maybe you should spend some time learning about the various components - like the difference between a tie rod and a sway bar end link - before you work on your own car. Please?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meant to say end link. My terminology is here when it wants to be but i do know which parts i mean to reference.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys i looked but i was unsure if i was looking at the right part

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Those are correct.
You may even be able to get them in-store from Autozone or the other big retailers if your in a hurry
Rockauto has the Moog ones which look a lot beefier and greasable for basically the same price.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=227356&jsn=3

This is also a good time to replace the swaybar bushings since your down there anyway. Check your bar diameter first though because there are two different sized front swaybars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts