Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's Hash this out again...newest sunroof victim

OK, I know all the drama that happened last time, and I refuse to see it again. But, My sunroof just broke on lunch, and I'm extremely irate right now.

I would like everyone to ONLY post here if you've had the sunroof problem. Please just post what your problem was, and what the resolution was, and how much it cost you. I'm weighing options here, and Ford Customer Care asked for as accurate a count as possible. I want to use this as ammunition.

Now please, only post here about your specific problem, nothing else. MODERATORS: If anything else is posted, or and of the previous drama starts, PLEASE DELETE IT IMMEDIATELY.

edit: Also, please include your Model Year, build date, and milage when this happend, and when it was resolved. Please format in the follow way:

Model Year: 2000
Build Date: 9/1999
Milage of Occurence: 58,000
Resolution: Unresolved

Thanks everyone, lets get to the bottom of this.

·
Administrator
8,299 Posts
Let's Hash this out again...newest sunroof victim

I will monitor this post regularly and delete anything that isn't outline as requeted in the topic starting thread. As for the parts, call Gary Starr at (800) 549-2005 ... cost if roughly $650 + S&H IIRC. I have left a note for Gary to call me so we can work out any special arangements. We might and I stress might be able to work out a discount like with the center console ongoing group buy with fixed shipping costs etc. Again, the hope for this is some sort of recall where people will not have to pay. If you have already paid out of pocket, keep your receipts!

Again, reply ONLY if your sunroof has failed. DO NOT ask questions, DO NOT give suggestions UNLESS this has happened to you! An example of this logging is given above and to stay on topic and show you again, reply in the following format:

** example **
Model Year: 1999
Build Date: 2/1999
Milage of Occurence: 37,425
Resolution: Paid $1388 total out of pocket :mad:
** example **

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Build Date: 3/2000
Milage of Occurence: 24,543
Resolution: covered under warrenty

Sent my car in for the roof, and the scratched paint caused by the roof and both covered under warrenty. The parts were on back order for 3 weeks and came into the dealership about 3 weeks ago. I have yet to drop my car off to have the work done but will be soon.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Build Date: 08/12/1998
Milage of Occurence: 52k
Resolution: fixed it myself

I opened it one day and heard a very loud crack when it went all the way back... it didn't want to come forward so I pulled it forward by hand evenly on each side - used the switch to shut it and when I went to re-open it only one side opened... I adjusted the torq screws on the rails from the inside of the car and kept adjusting til it opened and closed fine... I am not sure if I just bought more time or fixed it completely... I will be taking it in before my extended 75k warranty is over so I can just pay the 100 deductible and have it fixed (hopefully)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Build Date: 12/1998
Milage of Occurence: 21,000
Resolution: Fixed Under Warranty

I closed it one afternoon, and when i went to open it later, only one side would open. Apparantly the track on the drivers side cracked. The dealer fixed it no questions asked, but the parts took 2 weeks to get in stock.
-Matt

M

·
0 Posts
model year - 1999
build date - 3/99
milage - 32K
resolution - unresolved

it just happened like last week, i was closing my moon roof when i heard this crack, i look up and see that my roof is all lopsided, the right side was closing but the left side wasn't moving at all... had to force it shut... don't know what i'm gonna do about it, my warrenty expired in march... not to happy that i'm have to spend so much to get it fixed... gonna try fixing it later this weekend

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Build Date: 7/1998
Milage of Occurence: 44,000
Resolution: fixing it myself. Bought parts for Fordpartsonline for 667.50 plus another $3 part i broke when trying to get it closed. total for parts and shipping it $673.50 Hope to have fixed it myeslf by this time next week. As long as the tracks come in by Tuesday. Oh yeah Dealer would do Sh!t to help me.

By The way, once I get this thing fixed I will have a right track and complete sunroof motor that are in great condition, if anyone is interested.

C

·
0 Posts
model year - 1999
build date - 12/9/98
mileage - 63,000
resolution - unresolved

It happened about three months ago while i was getting into my car after work. I went to open it and all it did was crack open in the back. The motor kept turning but the roof would not slide back. luckily it was able to close again under it's own power. I have tried opening it a few more times but it only does the same thing.

·
2,068 Posts
Build Date: 7/98
mileage of occurrence: 55,000
Resolution: Won ebay auction today(8/8/02) for NEW 2002 assembly for $315 which I plan to install myself
*edit* New sunroof installed

Mine broke on 9/11/01 and the driver's side would not close all of the way. Tried opening it and only the passenger side would slide back. It ended up scratching my roof on passenger side, as sunroof went all crooked. Small part that the pushes the rail forward/backward broke off. Had to close it manually with a straightened coat hanger. Sunroof has been closed since it broke with interior piece removed so I could get it closed. Happy that I won the auction today. :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Model Year- 99
Build date- July 98
Mileage- 42662
Resolution- Dealer called Ford and covered it as if car was under extended warranty ($100.00 deductible)

See attached repair bill

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Build date: 11/1998
Mileage of Occurance: 34,xxx

Resolution: The sunroof did not actually fail, but it was showing signs. Brown Lincoln Mercury of Fairfax, VA, replaced the track under warranty without question. I was pleasantly surprised.

T

·
0 Posts
Build Date: April 4th, 2000
Mileage: 29000
Resolution: Fixed under warranty.

Paul

M

·
0 Posts
I just recently bought a cougar and its sunroof was broken when I got it. I think it broke around 60k and I am in the process of trying to get it fixed. The lady I bought it from says it goes up fine but it just won't close all the way, so she had to go to the dealer to have them shut it. I don't plan on paying $600 for it to get fixed since I don't have that kind of money because I am still a student.
Resolution: none yet

·
0 Posts
Build Date: 12/98
Mileage: 34,000
Resolution: Warranty (getting fixed as we speak)

Same thing happened to me as with everyone else...I am just lucky enough to get an extended warranty up to 78 K miles. Plus, since I just bought the car, the dealership gets to fix it for free! :biggrin:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Model year: 1999
Build Date: 2/1999
Mileage: 17,458
Resolution: Fixed under warranty

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Model year: 1999
Built date: 11/1998
Mileage: ~41000
Resolution: repaired made by Ford dealer at out of pocket cost of $1770 (before Ford started paying for replacement out of warranty)

2nd one broke in 12/02...

Mileage: 88750
Resolution: double shot of Grey Goose Vodka Matini and forget about ever having a sunroof

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Build Date: 4/1998
Milage of Occurence: 66510
Resolution: Unresolved as of now :cry:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Build Date: Not Sure (i dont have it anymore)
Milage: About 20k
Resolution: I took it back to the dealer and it was under warranty. They told me others were having problems with these because the 99-00's were made with a plastic track and the new ones come with a metal track so they replaced it with a new metal track and it worked fine.

So far no one has posted with a new cougar so they werent lying beings it seems the problem happens with the older ones, so make sure if you get it replaced its with a metal track.

·
Registered
549 Posts
model year: 1999
build date: 99 sometime
milage:20,000
resolution: well mine was out of warrenty.... BUT... i still got it done for $100 like it was under warrenty... mine broke.... but its was over 3 years old.... so i went a explained to the dealership my problem and they said they'd do it BUT i had to just pay 100$ deductable.... which isnt bad considering.... so mine turned out really well!- oh yeah and i sent teflonworm mine reciept.. i dont know if that hepled him

·
Registered
490 Posts
year: 1999
build date: 12/98
milage of occurance: 51,500
resolution: quoted $1145....complaining to ford.

1 - 20 of 291 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.