New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was coming out of the gas station trying to make a left turn this morning pretty hard to get ahead of traffic and my car starts bucking. It's not too bad at first but now I can barely drive my car in first or second gear. Especially if I'm trying to make a left turn in first gear it starts bucking really hard like I let off of the clutch really fast and it's almost like the transmission is slipping. Right turns are not too bad and when I'm driving occassionally it'll buck like the fuel pump is bad, which I guess could be another possibility. But there is a sharp metallic sound when it bucks like metal grinding on metal or gears slipping. Any ideas? I drove it pretty much straight home after it happened and it was ok to drive as long as I was going straight. The dealership is closed today, but hopefully they're open tomorrow even though it's a holiday and they can take a look at it. Any help as to what this might be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Adrian

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you think that might be all it is? i hope so. i'm going to take her in tomorrow to see what they say, but I imagine that replacing an engine mount is a lot cheaper then replacing a differential or halfshaft or something. I pray that's all it is. Thanks.

Adrian

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
It definitely may be. if you are bucking in a turn and not as much when straight, the engine may be kinda trying to 'twist' when you're in a turn and having wierd effects etc...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, well the car idle's fine, no bucking, and when i rev it it's ok as well, also when i turn the wheel without the clutch engaged it's ok, it's just when i engage the clutch and give power to the wheels while turning it starts bucking or occasionally while driving. so i guess it shouldn't be a half shaft, but might it still be the diff? i hope not, i hope all it is is a motor mount.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok definitely not the motor mounts unfortunately and definitely need a new transmission :(

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i guess unfortunately, but people who know me will attest that, I ran my car hard pretty much all the time and I'm paying for it now. I have 43,000 miles on my car in less then 2 years with about 3 months of not driving it within that period. Most of my miles were highway miles making trips from NY to VA or VA to TN/KY or even a couple trips from VA to Ok and back because of the Army. However, probably at least a couple times a week I would push the car pretty darn hard. I don't do burnouts at all or peel out of lights but I do drive the car if you know what I mean. Of all the times it could have happened, I would never have expected it to happen how and when it did. Looks like my pocket is taking the punishment now too for my driving habits and not just the car.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
i'm going with cv joints....

but more info first... is the engine bucking, or is the car bucking... basically what i'm saying is does the engine sound the same before/during/after and only the car jerks, or does the engine make akward sounds too?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
engine sounds fine all the time, only the car jerks and makes a loud banging sound like something has slipped and then come together really hard or i just dumped the clutch.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
try this, jack the front end up.... put car in neutral, lock the right wheel and try turning the front left.... does it go smooth then buck on you? what about when you have the sterring wheel turned... try it again

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea, it bucks real hard especially when i have the wheel turned to the left and i'm giving power to the wheels. to the right its not so bad but it still happens some, and if i'm driving straight i don't have any problems. also, the car doesn't buck at all if i'm rolling or turning but have the clutch engaged.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
what i meant was to see if you can reproduce it without any engine going on.... basically jack up the front end of the car so the wheels aren't touching, then turn them by hand..... do you feel anything odd (not smooth).... and does it do it for both wheels?

basically if you only get it for one wheel when the steering wheel is turned it's def a cv issue..... if you get it for both wheels, then it might be the diff (but i'm kinda doubting it at this point)

·
Registered
343 Posts
You need to be under load to get the engine to buck if it is a motor mount issue.
It may also be a subframe alignment issue - which is kind of motor mount related.

Take a peek at your driver's side motor mount just underneath your airbox and behind the battery. The mount should look fairly well centered in the rubber. If it's off then this is a good sign that's your problem. If it's centered, it may still be your problem but you just can't tell without loading the engine.

It might be worth a try to have someone watch the engine to see if it bucks excessively while you are idled in first and then let the clutch out with the brakes on and purposely stall out.

Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts