New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i own an atx cougar . ha, now heres my question. Since i dont have a manual i like to put the car into the 1st and then shift to 2nd and then drive. I do that a lot when i drive. A friend told me tho that if i keep doing that, i will break my atx tranny? now is this true? or am i ok if i shift it like that?

N

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by: toofast4you
Hi, i own an atx cougar . ha, now heres my question. Since i dont have a manual i like to put the car into the 1st and then shift to 2nd and then drive. I do that a lot when i drive. A friend told me tho that if i keep doing that, i will break my atx tranny? now is this true? or am i ok if i shift it like that?
Leave O/D off when driving in heavy traffic to save a little on gas mileage, thats about all I do. When I first got my car I did that for fun, and when I got my exhaust to hear it a little better, but honestly I wouldnt do it daily.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I never understood how it hurt the car. I have a buddy of mine that would shift his Camaro like that and it still runs great (85 w/ 140,000 miles). He wouldn't red line it every time, just casual driving. I don't see how it would really hurt the tranny unless the tranny heated up a whole lot and burned the fluid.

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
The computer still controls the shifts and won't let you do something stupid like down shift into first at 80 mph, so I don't see how it could really hurt it. The only way I see that it could hurt your trans is that you'll probably stay at higher engine speeds longer than if it were shifting automatically.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
It's just like playing with a tit through a bra.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts