New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2000 V6 auto w/o ABS, rear drums and front discs. It seems like it doesn't stop as well as it should and everything has been replaced. By everything I mean new/reman: power brake booster (push rod adjusted), master cylinder, front calipers/brackets, rotors, pads, rear drums, wheel cylinders and shoes. We bled the brakes several times and fearing we didn't do it well enough brought it to a shop and had them power flushed, filled and bled professionally.

I don't want to start an argument about the pros and cons of locking up brakes on a vehicle or not, but feel as though when I stomp on the brakes with all my might at 55mph that the brakes should lock up - they don't, no matter how hard I try. Obviously, I don't want to lock up my brakes in normal conditions, but I do want to know that I have maximum braking force available when I need it and not sure I do.

If they should be able to lock up, and everything is new and done correctly, what in the world am I missing?!?!?

·
Administrator
11,734 Posts
The only thing I can think of is you have a pinhole leak in the line above the rear subframe. You won't see the leak because it'll just collect on the subframe and that area is notorious for trapping moisture. It's where mine eventually popped and IIRC I had lost the ability to lock up the brakes as well (no ABS either).

There's a small hold where you can see up where the lines cross over and give you an idea on their condition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting - will check it out. In that scenario would we not get a low brake fluid situation though? Have not had that. It's also always been a Colorado car it's whole life too. Anywho, will check it out and report back!

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
Rubber lines old? They can certainly degrade performance when they age out. The wear is on the inside, so it isn’t visible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is also interesting. The shop that did the flush/fill/bleed did mention that they had a little trouble getting everything flushed/refilled and bled so maybe questionable rubber brake hoses could be an issue? As far as I know the brake hoses are original, so 22+ years old. We shall see if we want to pursue this. Was hoping to sell it soon. It stops well, just can't lock 'em up. . .

·
is a pop sensation
13,676 Posts
Years ago I had an issue with the grommet where the vacuum line connects to the brake booster. My brakes became much stronger when I fixed that vacuum leak. I fixed it the half assed way and just put a bead of black silicon around it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts