New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
brakes

i replaced the bad caliper tonight and to my suprise, im still alive. The piston in the caliper would not retract the pads after i hit the brake. by looking at the rotor everything looked fine. once i pulled the tire off i about had a heart attack. the back of the rotor was grinded really bad and the pad was non existant. usually a brake pad consists of a metal plate, then a quarter/half inch "pad". this was well through the pad and about half way though the actual plate. i took pictures but due to a really slow computer ive asked keith to upload and host them for me. theyll be up as soon as he gets the chance. the new caliper costed 30bucks at pep boys but i got a 18 dollar core for the old one so it was only 12 bucks all said and done. the new rotor had to be special ordered because i have 16inch rims not 15. they are 70 a peice for the premium and will be here in 5 days. new pads were $30 and arent anything special. the fender that smacked the guard rail was fixed for free. i didnt know but my step-moms cousin and her husband own a body shop called select. they have 4 locations, newport, mechanicsburg, enola, and hershey which is where i took it. Lee and Steve are the owners name. they got the scratches out and repainted it for nothing. they did a great job. i was told to let everyone know that they do body kits, custom painting, and all body repairs and will give u a discount if u tell me and i let them know your coming. here is a pic of one of the cars they painted...

the car is from hummelstown and some of u may remember seeing it at WRevolution this past labor day downtown.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
RE:brakes

Cool about the body shop! :thumbsup: Yea, I remember that Probe. Looks nice :)

Per Adam's request, here are the pictures. I did and Photoshop Auto Levels on them to brighten them a little.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to explain the pictures...
1st - the back pad that ate the rotor apart. it was nothing but metal. the pad part was well gone and the plate was just about done as well.
2nd - i was just trying to show the thickness of the new pad. to compare with the wasted pads
3rd - the front pad that u could see looking at the brakes behind the tire. it was a thin as that screw drive
4th - the back side of the rotor hidden from eyes. ud have a finger of metal if u would rub your finger across this. absolutly torn to hell n back.
5th - the front of the rotor that u could see. it looked fine which is why i never saw any problems coming

if your wondering what happend u can read the first post from here... http://www.fastcougar.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=47&threadid=88726

1 - 4 of 4 Posts