New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been able to duplicate this. It seems that it only happens when I park on a hill with the rear end facing down the hill, set the parking brake, and leave for a while. When I come back, take off the parking brake and try to go it makes this loud sound, almost as if you were rubbing tires. It would make sense if that was it, but I'm not even turning the wheels. Any ideas?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a split in my amp's power wire and I had it crossed over in front of the negative terminal. It would touch the negative side and short out the car and it started to smoke and it just sooted and burned the hood. Also, Ford said the recall wasn't for my vehicle.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be. I think I remember dad saying something that my rear driver's side brake would lock up when I was braking. He saw that when I was backing down our driveway he said. Go figure.

G

·
The problem you're having is not the recall (the recall was for the Brake Switch Harness)..

The problem you are having where it seems like something was rubbing could be many things.. from a messed up caliper slider pin to just the parking brake sticking.. my money is on the brake sticking since you have a newer car. I would not assume the rubber boot would have split after only a few years time.. so the slider pin should be fine.. however, if you open it up.. check your calipers.. make sure there is nothing going on there..

If it is the slider pin.. you should be able to get a pin kit for around $25 or $30.

G

·
Merc, I don't know if it will stop if you stop using the e-brake. It really depends on if that is the actual problem or not. If you are parking a slope, face down.. I wouldn't suggest it.. not only will it suck if you car decides to go for a ride, but it isn't all the wonderful on your tranny either.

I would have a friend stay outside the car, and replicate how your father does it in the driveway, and see if you can pin point where the sound is.. which tire region.. then take the tire off and check everything.. put it on the jack and pull the brake up and release it.. see if anything looks out of sorts.. if you can't figure it out then.. take it to the dealership, could be something much worse..

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think you misunderstand. I can't duplicate it. Sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't. Also, it was my father who saw me backing out of the driveway and noticed the brake locked up. I'll send it to ford! screw it, they'll fix something. Bound to.

G

·
hahahahaah... "oh yeah.. we found a problem with the radiator".. "Ok.. but the brake was sticking".. "Sure it was.. go home kid"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.