New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how new my brake pads are. I only got the car a few months ago. Just recently I've noticed a grinding/rubbing noise that is getting progressively louder and worse. Any ideas as to what this is?

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Sounds like bad pads to me. Get those fixed before you hose your rotors - those are expensive, pads are cheap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I posted that I went out and looked at my front left rotor. I must have gotten a rock the size of Texas in that thing (obvious exaggeration). Cuz my rotor is messed up pretty bad.... 90% sure I'm gonna need it replaced.:banghead:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I needed a new pad and rotor on my front left. My front right rotor wasn't looking very good either so I got both rotors and pads replaced. Cost a good bit though, but at least I don't have to worry about them for a while

·
Registered
29 Posts
I actually had my front left rotor lock up on me and it would cack off, after a while i noticed a shuddering in my stering wheel when i braked. I had to get my rotors replaced and pads as well sucked caues i just changed all my pads about 3 months earlier. Good thing though i found a brake distribution center for all of my local auto shops and got them from there with the premium rotors and bendix pads for about 128 out the door

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I think happened is I got a rock in my pad. Bc then everytime I hit the brakes the rock would grind up against my rotor. By the time I got home from school my rotor all ready had a ring around it where the rock was ripping into it. And by the time I took it to go get fixed....it was a lot deeper and def. needed replacing.:banghead:

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Sounds like you just plain had your pad worn down far enough to grind into your rotor. The distance between the rotor and pad is so miniscule that it's very hard for anything substantial to get caught between them.

·
Registered
674 Posts
yes I do not think it's possible for a rock to be able to destroy a rotor....I could be wrong but a rock would probably be either ejected, crushed, or just grind it's self down.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Originally posted by: Bennett9000
Get those fixed before you hose your rotors - those are expensive, pads are cheap.
I beg to differ Andy, I was able to find cheep o OEM rotors for I belive 32 dollars a rotor.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
If you're looking for a good setup on brakes contact Stazi the Aussie on the CEG boards. He shipped a full set of 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads to me for $270. Details in this thread. Unfortunately i haven't gotten a chance to replace them yet, but everybody else he's hooked up has been very happy with them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I think if it was just my pads were really worn down that I would've noticed sooner. Because this really happened all of a sudden, not over a period of time. So I don't know..doesn't matter now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts