New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!
What I thought would be a simple brake pad/rotor swap has turned into a nightmare. After working on my '00 Cougar all day I still only have one rotor replaced (this was a miracle) and the other front side in terrible shape. I am not sure if any of you have experienced removing rotors, but this is the worst ever! I purchased a pulley device to extract the rotors...and of course the pulley didn't work because it pulled a chunk out of the rotor (also have been using PB Blaster). Tried hitting it with a small hammer...didn't work. Tried a regular sledgehammer and again it didn't work. But this time while hitting the rotor from behind I broke the braket that holds the brake caliper on the car. It appears that the bracket also holds the shock and a varitey of other things.
The problem now is that I need to replace this bracket. Can anyone tell me the technical term for this bracket so I can order one? Also, do you know what the approx. cost will be?
Thanks for any help you can provide,
MC

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Are you talking about the caliper bracket? B/c it only holds the caliper...

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
did you take the brake caliper bracket off? The rotors should slide right off/on. I did a brake job on a taurus a few weeks back, and the fronts took no longer than an hour from start to finish changing out the rotors, and pads, and compressing the piston in the caliper back down. You are obviously doing something wrong. Have you ever done a brake change before? IF not i would highly recommend you drive down to autozone and get a chiltons manual for our car, and follow the step by step directions in that book. They have pictures aswell. It makes everything so much easier when your in the dark.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
This actually isnt that uncommon. Several cougar people have had siezed rotors that will NOT come off. Try a search alot ended up using heat / cold methods to break it free. Torch the rotor and apply ice to the center cap. Others have just beat them off. If they are on that bad they are not going to come off easy. Try the heat, hiting it with heat over and over can cause some contractions and expansions that could break its bond with the hub. After each time try using a mallet to tap on it. Try hiting at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock on the rotor it can help to work it all the way around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bracket I am referring to holds the caliper bracket plus the shock, etc...

Yes, I have changed brakes before, but never had this many issues. Now I just need to find the part so I can finish the job.

Good idea about the heat/cool method. If anyone knows the part it would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
my rotors were damn near impossible to get off...it took 3 grown men taking turns beating the crap out of it with a sledge hammer while simultaneously torching it...eventually, the rotor was actually just destroyed...the ring part seperated from the part that was seized to the hub...then we torched some more and used a pry bar...not a fun day...

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
25,007 Posts
This broken bracket you speak of actually sounds to me like the HUB ASSEMBLY or steering knuckle. I can't believe you actually broke that.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
You have to remove the caliper bracket to remove the rotor, so I'm assuming you mean you broke the steering knuckle. Thats not a cheap part to replace. I was quoted $380 from the dealer. Try a local scrap yard. I got the whole Lower control arm, strut, spring, Knuckle, Hub, rotor, for $180.

Most likely there is rust build up behind the rotor around the hub. If you have access, get a Air chisel in there and it should loosen up some of that rust. I had to beat the hell out of the one I got from the scrap yard. Tried heating it, ended up breaking the bearing. The hub came out with the rotor. Then I just used a press to get the rotor off the hub. What a mess, but it drives like a dream now.:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Wow, you must of been swinging pretty damn hard or using a really heavy sledge to break one of those tapped ears off!
I, too, had a problem getting my front rotors off. We beat on them with all kinds of hammers for at least two days. Finally got fed up and bought a propane torch and heated up the hub of the rotor. Then i applied cold water to the hub around the the nut in the center (name escapes me at the moment). Finally they came off. Them bastards were on there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the part I need to purchase is the knuckle after talking with the dealership today. Getting these rotors off are the WORST thing ever...it would be nice if they made it easier for us!
I think I will try to find the part at a junk yard...don't feel like paying 200-300 dollars on it.
Thanks for all your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.