New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, universe.

After taking the Cougar in for her 15k checkup, my mechanic called me and told me that the RF caliper seems to not be releasing, since the RF pad is down to 20% while the others are down to 70%. So, I call the local dealership, which is a different one from the one I usually go to, since I've moved. I take it in, and in a brief inspection, the guy says that's not a problem.

Today, I get a phone call from the dealership. They want $526 or so for new brakes on the front, and will not cover it under warantee. Apparently, the pad was improperly aligned and was shifting, therefore causing uneven wear. It's not covered under warantee because the grease on the back was gone, the pad was dirty and dry rather than wet. Because of this, it's assumed that improper maintenance was done, and some sort of solvent was applied.

The only chemicals ever to touch that part of the car would be Meguiar's wheel cleaner, and if that was the cause, why wouldn't it be on the other wheels? I can take it to my mechanic and have him do the work for a similar price, but I'd really rather not.

Do I bother fighting the denial, or is my argument moot?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Brake pads will never be covered under warranty. They are a consumable. Unfortunately, you are going to have to take care of this one out of pocket. Fortunately for you though, you don't have to pay $500 to have them done. You will be able to do it for under $50 if you don't need new rotors, under $100 if you do need to replace the rotors. You will need a set of front brake pads from Autozone (or where ever you choose to get them). Also, look at both sides of the rotors... Most likely the inside will be more worn than the outside. If they aren't completely smooth and have grooves cut in them, you need new ones. Or, you can most likely have them resurfaced for even cheaper. Please, for the sake of not getting ripped off, don't take your car in to have this done. It is very simple to do. It is as easy as taking the tire off and removing a few bolts, then putting it back together. Here is a link that shows you how to do the repair. Also, i have done about 30 brake jobs in my life (4 on the Cougar!), so if you are hesitant or have questions let me know. I would be more than happy to help.

How to for front brakes and rotors.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
That quote sounds like they are talking about replacing the rotors and pads, plus about 3.5 hrs labor.

Unfortunatly, like stated above, pads are never warranty. They wear out, plain and simple. I would, however, take it up with the service manager. Tell him/her that the price is out of the question, and you will not be back. They will do some serious adjusting.

But again, as stated above, just buy the pads and do it yourself. It's easy, and will take you an afternoon if you have never done brakes before. Save yourself the money and headache.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Agreed with both above... you really should just do the work yourself - it's almost as easy as changing your oil, and will save a significant amount of money. It will also give you the opportunity to inspect the area for a burr or something else that may have triggered the original movement. Based on the fact that your mechanic may or may not have a good handling on the Cougar, it may be time that you look elsewhere - misdiagnosis can cause you to spend a lot of money that you never needed to!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Actually just did my brakes today with friend at his dads place....first time under 2 hours for rotors and pads.

I have 1 question for everyone...what in the world is the grease packet for? Obviously it doesn't go on the surface of the pad or the rotor...most of the back of the outside pad is exposed...and most of the inside pad is in the plunger...no where to put the grease???

I got the NAPA ceramic pads...SWEET pads...know a number of people who have em and the DO NOT DUST. Know 1 guy with a Ram hasn't cleaned his rims in 5+ months in the summer and the rims were spotless. Said that they stopped better than stocks. Know someone else with a camero who has em and he drives his car hard so he uses his brakes just as hard...no dust...and it stops on a dime. They are a little salty $64 for the set but they outlast normal OEM pads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.