New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm removing my bottom grilles this weekend, anyone have tips on how to do this?

Thanks,
Shon

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Lots of time to relax and don't rush. Use a nail file to get the clip part free off the grill. The piece of the bumper the goes into the grill has a clip like the one you see on eletrical couplings. They all face inward towards the grill. Wedge the file into the gap and carefully pry up the bumper piece and push the grill right next to that spot. Not hard, but just enough to get it past the clip and move on to the next one. The ones near the bottom center and fog lights are the hardest, so start in the middle. Not very hard at all. A lot nicer if you have a garage are a nice surface to lay down on the ground to do this...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to add to bob said also start from the bottom clips first, they come off easier and then you can slightly push it back to un snap the top ones easier

·
Registered
475 Posts
from what i can see, it might be a little easier to get some of the clip out from behind, try popping off the plastic piece between the top grille and the hood- should be four round plastic tabs hold it in place, after you remove the plastic piece, you can reach down behind the bottom grille and probably pop off the tabs a little easier from behind. just make sure your car has cooled off so you don't burn yourself from engine heat.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if anyone has said this but I found that taking off the plastic shield that is under the engine bay. If you crawl under the car there are about 3 bolts into the frame and a few more in the wheel wells. This helps especially when you go to put the grills back in. I scratched the crap out of my front bumber trying to slide it back in the front, going underneath the car and coming up behind also makle it a lot easier to snap the grills back in. It takes a little extra time but I wish I would've done it before I scratched up my bumber. Just my 2 cents.

David

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
But if you have ground effects like I do, kind of hard to climb under car... Here's what I found when i painted my grills.

Get a skinny, long necked, flat-head screw driver. Stick the head of it into the slots for the grills, and give it a slight twist, pushing back on grill till it pops off. Sometimes may have to give it a couple of twists, but pops off real easily and doesn't damage or scratch anything.

For putting grills back on, just simply line it up and use your fingers to 'pull' it back on...

Took me all of a two minutes to get mine off and less to get them back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts