New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, we are installing a turbo on my brothers '96 240sx (ka24) and everything seems to be in its place. Started it up and it seems to run fine but when you rev it up or give it any gas it almost sounds as if the boost is instantly exiting the wastegate or something. Tried to adjust the bolt on the back of the wastegate but it didn't seem to help.
Just thought I'd share this and hopefully some of you guys here might know whats up or what to look for specifically.

--Anthony

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
its an internal wastegate.

I have a feeling they may have hooked up the boost and vacuum lines wrong but i'm not sure because he and a friend that has done turbo and superchargers before did most the work

·
1993 3000GT VR4
3,424 Posts
i think you mean he adjusted the BOV. what BOV does he have? also double check all piping connections. i had one come loose and it would never get over 2PSI. it just all leaked right out. it was very hard to find too cause from a quick check the pipe looked like it was clamped down in the hose. however when if you gave it a good tug it would move seperatly from the hose.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is using a HKS ssqv blow-off valve. I believe they tried adjusting that as well as the wastegate.
No boost controller. Isn't that the purpose of the wastegate when using a low boost aplication?

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Well, my knowledge of internally gated systems is very limited, so I'm not sure I can help. However, if the BOV isn't venting the boost, then there must be something wrong with the way the WG is setup.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea thats kind of what I was thinking but I don't know a ton about turbo systems yet. No boost reaches the bov and nothing registers on the boost gauge.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I have to assume the vac hoses are messed up... The spring in the WG actuator will allow some boost to build. Do you know what pressure it is set at? I assume it's something low, like a 5psi spring, or something similar.

All I can say, is to just pull all the hoses off of the WG actuator and see if you can build boost at all. Then check for leaks before and after the turbo.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably get to take a good look at it this weekend when i'm home (at school now) and hopefully it will be clearer what needs to be done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.