New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the members of this board who live in colder climates tend to have these. New Jersey winters aren't that bad, but it does get down around 0 degrees F occasionally. Would there be any advantage to installing a block heater? I've never had a hard time starting my engine in the cold.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
you should not use a block heater unless you get at least -20C... and even that it shouldn't be that necessary.... using a block heater when you are not supposed to will cook and boil your oil... very very very bad thing to do. I live in Windsor, Ontario and have never used a block heater in my life.... in winter we often get below 0F.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I live 8 hours north of Windsor, in Sault Ste. Marie, ON. Up here, a block heater is almost an necessity since it regularly gets down to -20 degrees C in the winter. We have a few days of -30 and -40 C weather.

Most people here just plug in the block heater over night and in the morning the car is ready to start up. I don't think that's very healthy. I usually wake up about an hour earlier and plug in the block heater for about half an hour.

New Jersey weather is probably closer to Windsor's weather (perhaps the warmest place in Canada besides southwestern BC) than frigid temperatures where I live... we still have a little snow on the ground up here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.